General Elk Hunt Questions

Medic137049

Mar 9, 2019
I have booked a guided Elk hunt in Colorado, I live on the East Coast, and have a few general questions:

-What is the customary tip amount to tip your guide?

- how do most get the meat, cape, antlers home and how much does that usually cost? (I will be flying to and from, so added as baggage seems unpractical)

-Is the Berger 250 grain Elite Hunter in 338 Win Mag a good enough bullet?

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I?ve not used a guide or flown stuff home, so I?m not able to help with that, but I can assure you that your rifle set up is enough....

Good luck this season.

A few years ago, I looked into have a elk mount shipped from southern Colorado to Illinois and it was around $900. Cost me less than $600 to drive round trip.
I?d have the meat cut, packaged, frozen and shipped. Look into having the mount done out there and shipped. They can do a mount with removable antlers that will take a smaller crate.
No input on a guide, DIY every time.
And ya, plenty of gun.
Good luck. Jim

I've never hunted with an outfitter before, but I've heard the gratuity question is always a good one for the owner of the outfit. I would also ask them what they recommend for getting an elk transported home if you are fortunate enough to fill your tag. I'm guessing they will have recommendations for a processor and a way to go about doing things. They'll probably also have a recommendation for a taxidermist. Another option would be to check with your local taxidermists and see if they will do an elk. If so, it might we worth trying to get the head and cape in a crate and having it flown back on the plane with you, even if there is a little fee.

As far as the bullet is concerned, I'm a fan of Berger and wouldn't have any issue shooting that bullet if the load is accurate in your rifle.

Good luck!

338 will knock anything in Colorado down for sure. Shoot through the ribs to minimize meat damage.

Tip the guide any amount you want. They usually don't get paid much by the outfitter. Cash is preferred over gifts.

Considering the price of your flight and what it would cost to ship meat, hide, and head , it might be cheaper to just drive. (Just guessing)

I'd echo what cohunter14 has to say.  A couple years ago one of my east coast hunting buddies canceled his return flight and rented a car to drive back as it was way more economical to get his antlers and meat back.  Your outfitter should be able to answer all those questions or at least point you who to talk to.

So far as the bullet, yeah.  Way more than enough.  I've hunted for years with my trusty little .270 with 150 grain Remington Core Lokts and never had an issue.

Good luck!

Tip is generally a minimum of 10% of Outfitted Trip Cost.

I also agree ask outfitter or find a processor in the area hunting have meat processed some will ship back to you; however it is expensive and also find local taxidermist based on your guides recommendations to take care of any taxidermy too. Just my opinions though.

Good Luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back