getting kids into hunting

turbo1967

Jan 4, 2013
I have been taking new people out hunting and getting them into the sport for years,I most enjoy taking out kids,I have taken hunter safety 9 time now while getting kids started.The last couple years have not been able to find kids that are interested.Have any of you out there found any sites or groups that help match up kids or women who are looking to get into it but dont have any body to take them?

This is my 9 year old, getting some time in the stand. Getting kids into archery is one of the best things I have done for our family.

Attachments

• photo-48.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 0
Can't say I have ever seen any websites that do that....there would probably be a ton of legal issues to resolve what with all the weirdos running around.

Maybe you could try volunteering to be a big brother or a mentor or something like that and incorporating hunting into some of the activities?

Hey I knew a guy who would hang his treestands about that same height.  He was a little bit scared of heights, never saw him up in a tree over 10 ft, you could always tell which stands were his  :D

On topic I'd say look for opportunities to help others in your family (Nephews, Nieces)  Especially if they don't have a strong father figure.  Kids really need something like hunting and sports to develop self confidence.

I picked up my 10 year old daughter a bow this year for her birthday and it is fun to see how proud she is (and me too) when she makes good shots.  She is really wanting to go out hunting with me.  I think I'll plan a special weekend hunt where we'll set up a blind on a wallow and hopefully I'll get lucky and she'll get hooked.

Here she is at her first 3d shoot.

Attachments

• Ky.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 0
I highly commend your efforts.  At 27, I can't wait to get my kids (I have three: 5, 2, and 2 months) going by themselves and getting their friends into it.  I already have a few co-workers that want me to teach them and their kids to shoot bow and get into hunting.  I desperately wish I had all the time to share this wonderful heritage with those that don't already know it.

I have 3-kids, a son and 2-daughters, all show an interest in hunting, but none are passionate about yet. I'm praying they do.

Attachments

• web-IMGP4112.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 0
I have 6 kids myself and I have taught each one of them about hunting and the outdoors. They love is to the point that when my little 2 year old sees a hunting movie and sees an elk on the TV he will make a cow call sound. It is SOOOOOO Cool.
LOL

Jeff

I don't have kids of my own. But have introduced 2 of my friends kids to shooting a bow as they expressed interest and nobody in their family hunted. I bought two used bows which they come shoot in my yard and just this summer I took both of them on my boat and they got to shoot their first live target, Carp. They had an incredible day and we all couldn't stop smiling. Bowfishing is a great way to keep kids motivated and involved in archery as they actually shoot something and not just a target. I was lucky enough to volunteer last June in an event here in Utah we called Carp - A - Polooza. We took 178 kids in two different locations to shoot bows at carp out off our boats. For most of these kids there a lot of firsts. First time shooting a bow, first time killing a carp, first time in an airboat or jetboat and even a few who was their first time doing any real outdoor activity. 

It was a huge success and we are planning on doing it again this summer.

After all, these are our future hunters and conservationist.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 12
Awesome idea! Getting kids off the couch and into hunting is the key. I am 20 years old and honestly, it is rare to see kids wanting to get into hunting now days. Even as a kid i was one of few kids my age who were into hunting

Back