Getting over fear

StronTower

Jun 11, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I unfortunately had a very disheartening year last year. 2 weeks before bow season I suffered a severe injury. One of my arrows exploded and the last part of the arrow penetrated my hand and severed tendons. I would like to note that I did in fact check my arrows before shooting and I did not hear or see any defects. Obviously, I was unable to hunt due to this.

However, currently I am struggling with the fear to shoot again. I never expected this to happen as mentally I know it was a fluke but subconsciously my body just freaks out even thinking about picking up my bow to shoot. I guess I am looking for helpful tips to try and be able to pick up my bow again. I love bow hunting (it is one of the only things that I look forward to each year) and do not want this set back to ruin the passion I have for hunting.

And please do not respond with "just get out there and shoot. You need to overcome the fear".

thanks for any thoughts

That is disheartening. My only suggestion would be a kevlar arm guard of some sort to help ease your mind. That would be my first step, try to protect your body from what your mind thinks might happen. I think they're inexpensive. Treat it like learning to ride a bike again with training wheels, hopefully work to the day you take them off.

Good luck on your journey.

I?m sorry you?re going through this.

You might consider some professional help, maybe more along the lines of a sports psychologist instead of regular therapist.

Other than that you might have to find a way on your own to make peace with this. That could be anything from getting a new bow and/or arrows to just spending more time around archery.

Pretty much everyone has had an issue come up in our archery journeys. Think back to any of those issues and how you worked past them.

We?ll be cheering for your to get back into archery and feeling good about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad shoots a genesis bow from Mathews (I think that's who makes it). I think it's for kids getting started in archery. The bow has no draw weight or draw length. You just pull it back and shoot. It's way to light to hunt with but he uses it to try to get over target panic. It might be a good way to start off shooting real light poundage and work your way back up to your hunting bow.

Sorry to hear Strong Tower.

I think I'd start by looking at the full wrap leather arm guards used by traditional archers.  I'm talking about the real stout leather ones.  Combine with a good leather glove for your bow hand.  They do make kevlar arm guards used in assembly line/manufacturing/demolition fields, but I think I'd go with the leather. 

Concur with ribo451.  Get a light bow with some old school aluminum arrows to get back into it.

Good luck and hope you're out there this season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back