Getting ready

Oldcarp

Dec 29, 2012
I got this idea from some where else. What is everybody doing to prepare themselves for the hunts

Just started walking again!  Been too dang cold for that lately, but got a good 5 miler in the other day.  Hope to get some more cardoon in this year before season too

Oh... so much. 

I keep active and exercise aggressively 5-6 days a week.  This ranges from home gym time, body-weight exercise, hiking, running, basketball... basically anything that will make me sweat.  My intention is to go to bed knowing I'll be better tomorrow than I woke up today.

This week I'll be getting my membership to 5 valley archery here in Missoula so I can get access to a 3d range and seasonal 3d shoots at various location near here.  I'm also teaching my sister to hunt who has an aspiration to be taking deer this fall, as well as accompany on some elk excursions this fall.  My priority this year is to get shooting outside of my comfort zone and find some accuracy there. 

Also I'm moving away from the Primos terminator bugle and learning mouth reeds through a bully bull tube.  My father has always used mouth reeds and hunting with him this year illuminated how much more range and variety of calling you can get out of the mouth reed vs the 3-5 main sounds you get from the Primos call (although I've called in many bulls with Primos bugles.)  I feel like using a mouth reed is a solid challenge to get comfortable using by Elk season.

Also I'm getting a new back pack thanks to mr. Matt Brimmer and am very excited to see what it's capable of adding to my back country experience.  Otherwise the only piece of gear I need is a new rangefinder because I apparently lost my previous one somewhere afield last year.

Good luck to you this season. 

working out after my 6 week highateis, mostly walking, running, and yoga. gear repair or replace lists, and tag applications or bonus point acquisitions where possible 

Crossfit, training for my first 15K run, learning how to use mouth reeds and a grunt tube, shooting the bow most days of the week, planning to make it to a 3-d shoot each month, adding a couple new pieces of gear and continuing to expand my scouting in my elk area.

Doing my best to make these practices my habits.  Enjoying the preparation throughout the year makes September that much sweeter. 

I have started to walk. The snow level has kept to about a mile but the latter it gets I go about three miles with 20lbs on my back. I do push ups and crunches and dips at least 4 times a week. Starting here soon I will start shooting at least three times a week if not more. In June I start putting out trail cams.

I am also working out 5-6 times a week.  I do weights 3 days and a some sort of cardio the other 3 days.  I also try to shoot my bow 4-5 times a week (20-30 arrows) to improve my accuracy.  I am new to bowhunting elk so I need to do all I can to create some "luck" as they say.  Hopefully here soon I can get out scouting the potential area that I will be hunting. I have already planned a camping trip up there with the wife. 

The next thing that I am hoping to implement in my routine is learning how to use mouth reeds.  If anyone has pointers, I am more than willing to listen.  I want to absorb as much knowledge as I can.

Run during lunch break 3 days a week.  One evening a week get a longer run 8 miles this week (will creep up all summer).  Bball saturday morning.  At home couple three days I'll do push ups, sit ups, cruches, lunges all with varying amounts of weight (little girls dangling off me), and other not sure what to call ems I have seen on infomercials.  Yes I'm that cheap. 

Shoot the bow and ride the mountain bike. I do some push ups and sit ups too. Something about weights I just don't like.

I've got to get off my butt!  I'll be riding mybike to work soon 13 miles round trip. Hiking with my family and I need to start shooting.  I can shoot in my back yard (as long as the neighbors don't see), so I have no excuse.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back