Getting your meat home - cross country

Flying Forester

Jul 7, 2015
I'm thinking about the logistics of processing an elk or two, should we be successful next year.  At least two of us in our party are living in Florida, and our hunt will likely be in my old stomping grounds in Washington. One thing we need to think about is once we've packed the meat out of the woods, what do we do with it to get it home to Florida?

Obviously we could drive our own vehicle and keep it iced en route back, but are there alternatives?  Are there any processors in Washington that can be recommended that would ship or freight? 

Thanks

I know there are services that truck meat from Alaska to areas across the country.  Maybe they could do a pick up for you in WA?  I cannot recall the name, but I am sure some google searching could find it.

Look for a meat processor in the area you hunt. Have them cut and package in plastic wrap and then freezer wrap. Ask them to freeze you meat.when your ready to go home put it in a cooler or two and lay newspaper or paper bags on top with big chunk of dry ice. Put duck tape around the seams or gaps in the lid and haul ass home.
We drive 28 hours and all is still frozen with a tiny bit of dry ice left. Adjust or figure accordingly.

I've seen chest freezers in the backs of pickups before. It's a great option if there's a possibility of driving.  You just have to figure out the power situation.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back