Girls in the woods~

rose-n-arrows

Dec 29, 2012
I am a woman and I love to hunt.  In my opinion, bowhunting offers humans an opportunity to live life to the fullest.  Every sense must be engaged in order to enjoy repeated success.  Sight: Our eyes must be able to discern the subtlest twitch of movement, alerting us of our prey.  We must be able to recognize the animal in foggy pre-dawn light, in the rain-among boulders and stumps and all manner of natural camouflage.  Hearing:  The rustle of a fern, the snap of a distant twig, the faintest bugle on a windy day-we must fine tune our hearing to pick up these sounds, and many others.  Touch:  the slightest wisp of a breeze on the back of the neck tells us the wind has changed and we must alter our approach; we must step lightly to avoid detection; we touch our boots to droppings to determine how fresh they might be.  Smell:  Our noses quickly learn the many scents of our prey, whether they be the rutting bull or the estrus cow.  Often,  the briefest whiff will mark the direction we must travel.  Taste:  Perhaps it is the anticipation of taste that comes into play while hunting.  The sizzling back strap, various sausages and elk burgers can not be replicated by the bovine butcher!  Let's not forget the "sixth sense" -the gut feeling that they are on the next ridge.  We must dig deep, claw our way up muddy canyons-maneuver through downed trees, brush and all types of terrain.  There is no giving up.  Only getting up.

Hilarious,  That right there is the difference between men and women.  Women are all about the details Men are straight to the point.  You don't see a lot of pictures of Women with dead animals but when you do they are usually big, probably due to their attention to the details and their patience. 
I hope someday my Wife has the desire to hit the hills with me, right now with young kids it would be hard for us both to get out and with my obsession to bowhunting she is happy to stay home with the kids while I "sacrifice" to bring home meat for the family!

Nice post rose-n-arrows. My wife hunts harder than most guys I know whether its with me on a back country elk hunt or a local blacktail buck hunt behind locked gates. She has yet to kill a elk , but she has done well on deer. She killed a hooter Muley in washington in 2011 and backed it up with a hooter blacktail in 2012. Here is a couple pics .

Attachments

• 052.jpg 25% (1).jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 2
  • ks30.jpg 75%.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0
rose-n-arrows said:
I am a woman and I love to hunt.  In my opinion, bowhunting offers humans an opportunity to live life to the fullest.  Every sense must be engaged in order to enjoy repeated success.  Sight: Our eyes must be able to discern the subtlest twitch of movement, alerting us of our prey.  We must be able to recognize the animal in foggy pre-dawn light, in the rain-among boulders and stumps and all manner of natural camouflage.  Hearing:  The rustle of a fern, the snap of a distant twig, the faintest bugle on a windy day-we must fine tune our hearing to pick up these sounds, and many others.  Touch:  the slightest wisp of a breeze on the back of the neck tells us the wind has changed and we must alter our approach; we must step lightly to avoid detection; we touch our boots to droppings to determine how fresh they might be.  Smell:  Our noses quickly learn the many scents of our prey, whether they be the rutting bull or the estrus cow.  Often,  the briefest whiff will mark the direction we must travel.  Taste:  Perhaps it is the anticipation of taste that comes into play while hunting.  The sizzling back strap, various sausages and elk burgers can not be replicated by the bovine butcher!  Let's not forget the "sixth sense" -the gut feeling that they are on the next ridge.  We must dig deep, claw our way up muddy canyons-maneuver through downed trees, brush and all types of terrain.  There is no giving up.  Only getting up.

Very nice read. No doubt bow hunting is a special skill.

This is really poetic. I don't know if my wife feels quite the same way as this poem about hunting, but at least she lets me drag her along haha. Maybe someday though.

Thank you for understanding what we all see and feel when out in the woods hunting. It's not all about beer, trucks, fires and killing like to many think it is that do not hunt.

Well said!

I couldnt get my wife to go and hunt if her life depended on it but then again thats ok.  If she ever wanted to go hunting i would be pretty excited to take her out and show her the ropes but I dont think that day will ever come.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back