Goal Zero Products

Mountain Bowhunter

Jan 2, 2013
Just thought I would post this in case anybody had never heard of them because they make great products that are very useful in the backcountry.  They started out working to supply solar power to villages in south america and recently began making portable solar products.  I just got their nomad 7 portable solar panel and you can charge a phone in 1-2 hours which is great for the backcountry where your phone could save your life.  It will also charge anything with a usb plug.  I also got their guide 10 plus which is an external battery that can be charged from the solar panel or another usb power source(like a computer) and can charge your phone 1-3 times off a single charge (great for cloudy days and night time) and it also charges rechargeable AA or AAA batteries which I will use in my headlamp.

IMG_18701_zpsdee5a70e.jpg

I totally agree. I use a guide 10 plus mobility kit, which has slightly smaller panels than the nomad 7. I attach it to the outside of my pack and recharge my phone and batts while I hunt (unless it is raining, which it does a lot here). I use an app on my android phone called backcountry navigator. Great app. The full version is not free, but it is worth the purchase. Plus it has GMU boundary add ons for quite a few states. With the Goal Zero charger I can use the navigator app as often as I want and don't worry about running my phone down on multi day hunts.

thats one of the main reasons I got it is because I was looking at getting the Spot connect gps messenger or something similar.  Now I am looking at InReach because I think it will let me use my iphone as a gps.  But really the possibilities are endless with these things.  You could charge your camera, gopro, or whatever if it has a usb.

I have the nomand 10 and love the capabilites of it. It may weigh a little more than the & but I think that its worth the extra weight.

moonie said:
I have the nomand 10 and love the capabilites of it. It may weigh a little more than the & but I think that its worth the extra weight.

I didn't think they made a nomad 10.  next size on their site is a 13.5

I love my nomad 7 kit. I did have numerous problems with their batteries. They ended up sending a new set free but I wasn't impressed with them. I switched to the higher end energizer Li rechargeable. With the upgraded batteries. I don't need to charge the guide as often.

EatElk said:
I love my nomad 7 kit. I did have numerous problems with their batteries. They ended up sending a new set free but I wasn't impressed with them. I switched to the higher end energizer Li rechargeable. With the upgraded batteries. I don't need to charge the guide as often.

good to know.  I was planning on using the rechargeables in my apex headlamp.  they say you may notice reduced performance with rechargeables.  I wonder if the higher end ones would work better

I have the guide 10 also and I love it. I carry so many electronics when I am out that I needed something that charged it all.

BullHunter said:
I was looking into it but i was too sure how great they worked.

The panel and the guide 10 both work awesome.  I've charged my phone off the panel in an hour or two.  I charged my phone today off the guide 10 in about 40 minutes

check out www.promotive.com

See if you are able to join one of the teams. They have discounts up to 50% off all goal zero products.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back