Going Solo

Hi Dave,

I prefer to hunt and camp solo. I too have always been one of those guys that can freak myself out pretty easily. I also hunt north central CO. There is nothing to worry about. Actually, I think the two legged creatures are the only thing to worry about. Just remember-you are the animal in the woods that all other animals fear. I typically have a hard time sleeping the first night and then every night after I am so tired I generally have a hard time finishing dinner without falling asleep. It\'s a lot easier to sleep if you camp in a \"friendly spot\". It\'s just a place in the woods that feels comfortable. I know that sounds lague, but you will understand. Don\'t go anywhere without a spot transceiver. Packing out solo isn\'t a big deal, it just takes longer. Hang meat in the shade and you won\'t have to worry about spoilage. One trick I learned last year was when quartering an elk by yourself, the hind quarters can be easily removed by stepping over the quarter so the leg is resting on your back. Lean back while cutting from the inside working out. This technique makes it really easy to remove the hind quarter.

Good luck and have fun. There is something very rewarding about getting the job done by yourself.

Members online

No members online now.
Back