Going traditional

Montana_BackCountry

Jan 9, 2013
I've been a compound guy since I was 14 or so and have recently been given one of my grandfathers old re-curves.  I went and got it a new string and fletched up some arrows and have been having a good bit of fun with it this spring already.  My goal is to be proficient enough with it by next season to set down the bowtech and try to arrow a bow the old fashion way. 
I want to solicit any tips from other traditional hunters which might keep me from making an unforeseen error in the field once it gets to that time.  So all advice for in the field use of a re-curve is much appreciated.  thanks guys.

Buy a video called the accuracy factor by Rick Welch, you see parts off it on you tube. Sign up for Tradgang and get on the shooters forum. Plenty of help there. You can shoot a stickbow consistently out to 40 yards

Yea I was hitting tight groups at 20 yards after one day out.  Now 30 is feeling pretty consistent.  The penetration factor is a bit iffy after 40 I bet for sure. 
Thanks for the heads up with that forum I'll check it out for sure!

Know your limits and your range limits

I hunted Elk with my Longbow last year, I got myself hitting a 5" disc consistently @ 25yds, I got an Opportunity and missed. My excuse is the Red Deer in UK are not even as big as a Cow Elk, I judged the wrong distance and missed(it was actually 38yds away). Lesson learn't, Elk are bigger than my native Red Deer Stags and just cause it looked close , it wasn't :(
It was also filmed for Huntography, Elktour 2 DVD .

I bought the master of the Barebow 3 great dvd, very helpful and informative. Its worth getting a copy.

Good luck with your quest to hunt with trad gear :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back