Google Earth Overlay

BrentLaBere

Jan 7, 2013
For people doing some pre scouting techniques over maps for public lands, access points ect....ect....What tools do you find work best? Google earth is one of my favorites and I am thinking of adding a hunting gps overlay to it. I am looking at thecompany that I would be able to download this for 40$ and upgrade my old chip for my Garmin hand held. Doing other research I hear a lot of talk about 7 and 1/2 minute maps. (if im referring to that correctly). I have a hard time with this as someone new to a hunting area. I feel these maps can come in hand with knowing a giving area and breaking it down further, but I could be way off on this. What are some of your favorite scouting tools (besides strapping on the boots).

Google earth is a very valuable tool for me, I love it. The only minor issue I have had with it is the difference between the mountains and Pennsylvania.
In example, there are very few places in PA that you cant get there from here with a little hiking. But in the mountains sometimes you can't get there from here. Only on the ground experience will teach you this, but once you understand that, it is a long range scouters best friend.

I use it all the time and find myself looking at all my hunting grounds every coup0le of days.  I also am looking for new areas to hit the following year and have used some overlays to help in my scouting efforts by computer.

I use it and it works great. It will definitely benefits me when it comes to hunting season. I used a free topo map overlay on my google earth and its awesome.

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/store/gps-maps/?hgm_map_states=456
This is a link to a gps chip I am considering. It also will allow you to overlay the public land on Google earth. Does anyone have experience with these?
For my home state I have one that is called NDTrax that works great. It even has lake contours for fishing. When going outdoors I don't leave without it.
Also if anyone has a specefic site or place they get their maps from I would like to hear your opinions on that.

I go between google maps and Idaho fish and game interactive map. Even when I lived in Montana I used the Idaho maps because they have more clarity and I could zoom in farther. So I would find an area of interest in Montana and then use Idaho's to plan my attack.

I love GE.  I've found that sometimes, bing maps has imagery with better resolution.  Google search for .kml or .kmz files specific to your needs, you never know what's out there.

I hunt in Colorado and I have files for all the wilderness areas, nat'l forests, and BLM lands.  It's great.

Also, check this out:

http://www.intelligenthunter.com/home/map

Well I ended up going with the Hunting GPS maps and I haven't had too much time to play with it yet but so far I love it!

For anyone that has to use google earth more than putting the leather to the ground I recommended this. Easier to find and how to access public lands.

It's amazing how much more stuff you can learn from an area using Google Earth. Try this, go to your current hunting area and zoom in. Look around for a while and most likely you will see something you don't realized was there. Whether it is a small meadow, pond or game trail. I have done this after every hunt and it seems as if I always find something I didn't know or didn't see while I was there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back