Gps opinions?

jackdaddy

Dec 25, 2013
Have never used a gps hunting but can definitely see the benefit when your out of state chasing elk in Colorado. So I'm looking for your opinions and experiences using a gps. I'm looking for something affordable, easy to use, compact, etc. Any advice and options will be much appreciated.

Not sure if you have an Android smart phone or not, but if so, you could always get the $12 Backcountry Navigator app and save the aerial and topo maps for the area you'll be hunting.  Then you can put your phone in airplane mode to save juice and still use the GPS and the saved maps even outside of cell coverage range.  I would recommend a battery pack or another way to recharge your phone if you go this route.
Otherwise I'd grab a cheap Garmin on craigslist if you're looking to save some money.  If your hunting with anyone else and will be separated, then the Garmin Rino's are nice because you can see each other's locations.

I really like the Garmin Rino 650, with the Hunt Maps chip. It's very easy to use, and the radio feature is especially useful if you hunt with somebody else that has a Rino. The battery life is great, it starts up fast, acquires satellites quickly, and the touch screen works well. If I didn't hunt with others that have a Rino, I might have gotten a different Garmin with a bigger screen. Whatever you decide to get, be sure to get the Hunt Maps chip, it's priceless in my opinion.

I have a Garmin 62STC that I use in Forestry applications that will be perfect for hunting applications as well.  It's chock full of features and extraordinarily accurate.  I like the capability to send waypoints, routes, and metadata between devices so you can share your plots with a buddy or a "first responder" showing up to help you pack out meat. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back