GPS topo map disappeared?

atfrith

May 16, 2014
I use an old(er) Garmin Etrex Vista GPS, I got it as a gift a few years back, came with CD to install a basic TOPO map of the state etc. I\'ve never had any issues at all with it until yesterday on a scouting trip I realized the topo map had somehow been erased from it :problem: So basically all I\'ve got is a plain white basemap when in the mountains. Luckily I also had this area pre-saved on my ONx app on my iphone so I was able to navigate to where I was heading, but I\'d like to get my GPS back into working order before season!

The only thing I can think of, is that when I tried to use it last (last weekend) the batteries were dead, no biggy, I knew the area. But I replaced the batteries before yesterday\'s trip and now no topo. :dk: Of course I no longer have the CD that came with the unit either...

I use Garmin GPS\'s but have never used a base map and don\'t have a CD but if I did I would sure let you borrow it, Anthony...

Oh I\'m sure I will be able to rely on my ONx maps if it comes down to it, I guess I\'m just wondering if there may be some hidden menu option somewhere to \"turn the topo lines back on\" per say. I messed around with it for awhile but couldn\'t find anything.

Give Garmin CS a call they might be able to help or even replace your lost CD... :upthumb: :upthumb:

You should have a micro SD card in the battery compartment. You might have bumped that when you changed the batteries. Try to remove the card then reinstall it. Power the unit up and see if it works.

I have a Garmin Vista CX. The C stands for color and the X stands for external memory which is the Micro SD slot. I also have the CD of the whole US, Alaska and Hawaii TOPO. I have Montana, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico installed on my SD card.

I have a Vista CX as well but no micro SD card as they constantly become corrupt and I lose data. Just yesterday I was looking at my GPS and noticed my topo of where I\'m hunting was gone. I had to post-haste learn how to load a topo using Basecamp again. For the life of me I can\'t figure out where the heck it went. I searched around and all of my topo\'s were gone. It didn\'t take long to get them restored but A) I\'m glad I checked before I left and B) I\'m pretty pissed that this happened.

\"bowhunter\" said:
You should have a micro SD card in the battery compartment. You might have bumped that when you changed the batteries. Try to remove the card then reinstall it. Power the unit up and see if it works.

I have a Garmin Vista CX. The C stands for color and the X stands for external memory which is the Micro SD slot. I also have the CD of the whole US, Alaska and Hawaii TOPO. I have Montana, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico installed on my SD card.

Oh man you\'re my savior, haha, the micro SD card was definitely bumped and not all the way installed. Thank you! All is good now

\"Atfrith\" said:
\"bowhunter\" said:

Oh man you\'re my savior, haha, the micro SD card was definitely bumped and not all the way installed. Thank you! All is good now

Glad to hear you got it fixed without much trouble.... :upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:

\"Atfrith\" said:
\"bowhunter\" said:

Glad I could help.....Enjoy your hunt.. Good Luck

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back