Groups at 40 yds

I would like to have a group no larger than 3 1/2"-4" at 40 yards with broadheads.
otherwise, I would limit my range to what I know I could make a kill shot.

Averaging 3-4". 
I say average because honestly some days I get closer and even sometimes further. depends if my mechanics are down....ex. not punching the trigger. Other elements such as wind can be a factor. 

3"-4" on the average for me. I don't know if that's something to strive for but it's the best I can do most days ;D

I only ask because I was able to get out and actually shoot at 45 yds yesterday and I was close but not anywhere close to where i want to be in grouping. Sometimes the shot was really terrible sometimes it was really good. It sounds like I just need to practice more. :)

Thanks for the replys, I am always open to advice.

I like what no limits says. I've never lived by that rule, but I think I'm going to start now. Once I put my broadheads on I don't even shoot at the same spot on the target anymore because I have shot enough by then that I start cutting fletching off with my broadheads.

I like to keep mine to about 1" for every 10 yards. If I'm off I slow down and work on my mechanics. I'm pretty comfortable out to about 38 yards.

no limits do what it takes said:
I was always told a good standard was for every 10 yards you add another 1''  30 yards 3'' 40 yards 4'' 50 yards 5'' and so on
That's a great rule of thumb to use!!

Cameron Haines had a great article, I believe in Extreme Elk, a while back about practicing at longer ranges. I really like what he does. He said he won't even practice under like 50 or 60 yards(Don't qoute me). And he will practice out to 100 or 120(Again, don't qoute me). I don't take it to that extreme, only 85 yards for me, but I do mostly practice at longer ranges, 45-65 yards. I will rarely shoot at 35 yards and under. I shoot an arrow or two at the close ranges only about once a week. He made a great point saying that if you practice really hard to fine tune your muscles and body mechanics to shoot accurate at longer ranges, which you generally shoot at eventually anyhow, the short shots are like chip shots. I have to say, I did this a lot last year and it seemed like I was better at all ranges a lot sooner. I would highly recommend anybody to give it a try. Just my style though! Do whatever works for you.

I shoot heavy arrows and I have considerable drop after 60 yards. I also have a 5 pin sight that is set at 20-60. Shooting out to 100 yards is nice, but I would need a sliding adjustable sight. Another trick I learned is to put my 60 yard pin on the spot, then count up the pins by 10 yard increments. Example, from 60; 70, 80, 90, 100...where your 20 yard pin is positioned is where you move your 60 yard pin to. It will surprise you how close it will hit at the 100 yard mark.
I do not plan nor like shooting over 60 yards, but it is fun to practice at longer ranges. Do not try it with a small target stop, at least until you have practiced some...good luck

I like to take the worst conditions I will hunt in wind, rain,up hill ,down hill or what ever your limits are and make sure I can hit concistantly inside a solid kill area under those conditions. I my self make that a 6 inch circle, if you can do it under the worst conditons than its all good under good conditions. I shoot out to 90 yards and if I cant put them inside 6 in every time than I wont shoot those conditions at an animal.

Small groups are great. I agree with the 1 inch rule, except I stop at 5 inches. I figure that I need to hit that close to my spot in real life if I am to kill cleanly. 

Also when practicing i make the spot i am shooting at smaller than your desired group size. That helps me aim small. Then when I move to 3 d targets I am better at picking small spots.

When I shoot sloes distances I don't worry about groups, instead I shoot spots and give myself scores based on spots. Then I strive for personal bests, that helps me add mental pressure. I find it makes me more calm when I have lots of adrenaline running in the woods.

I like to shoot at longer ranges as it helps me make those close up shots better.

The other day I was dialing in my new bow and single pin sight up to 80 yards. I needed to switch yardage tapes as my longer shots were shooting low.

After flinging lots of arrows, too many in retrospect, I was really fatigued.

This was my last shot at 80 yards with my broadhead.

Rudy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 1
if i am not cutting vanes at 60 im not happy 3 to 4 is with out a doubt a kill, but the tighter the better . I set high standards as a comp shooter and they follow me to the hunt. If i need to thread a needle i dont want to worry about 3 inches, It had better be rite there. just try yer best to get them tight

I myself like to shoot groups out 100 or so I try to keep them in a pie plate.
My sight only goes to sixty so I put an orange sticker on a board wwwaaayyy(thats an eye opener) up above my target and just let them drop in. The long range makes it fun so that keeps me practicing. That being said the real test is one shot no warm up with my pack on breathing hard after running around some (to simulate elk fever) the bow with one arrow out of the quiver you know like a real hunting scenario. If you can pull off a shot like that every time however far you feel like you can shoot you’re golden. ;)

Well stated elkfever.  This last weekend I had a shot at a jackrabbit at about 30 yards, but I had to thread a needle to make the shot. It I am not 100 percent confident that arrow is going where I aim, then I end up passing that shot or worse, a wounding shot. I can't be thinking a out my group size out there, I just have to know that it is a shot I will take or not.    I'm no competition level shooter, but because of that I end up passing on more opportunities that better shooters can take and make.

After reading your post it got me thinking, you can never be satisfied with how good you are shooting. If I am shooting three four inch groups at fourth, then I should start striving for three inch groups.

I started shooting more at longer ranges last year and it really helped my confidence and groupings at all the shorter ranges. 

I will mention that I have not shot any arrows outside of 45yds, I just don't have the area to shoot that far; I actually go out to the woods and set up my target. I am still working setting my pins at the desired yardage because this is my first year archery and first bow, hence the 40yds.

I am going to try to get out there and do it again this weekend, i will try to post pics.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back