Hammock?

I've thought about it but worried about rain. I've also thought about wind that might keep it moving while trying to sleep and getting motion sick :-X

Oregonbowhiker said:
I've thought about itbut worried about rain. I've also thought about wind that might keep it moving while trying to sleep and getting motion sick :-X

well most guys i know pack a tarp and ropes for that reason. they will tie a rope between the trees, throw the tarp over it, and use the other ropes to tie off the corners.  so with all that it really doesn't save you that much weight.  just kind of a sleeping preference. I prefer to be on the ground, and the tent keeps the bugs out.  eno makes a hammock with a bugscreen though

Tried the eno hammock and it just wasn't for me. Great hammock though, I still use it in my back yard, but on colder nights you have no insulation on your bottom. I rather sleep in a small tent with a sleeping bag and have a pad under my toosh.

i got a grand trunks skeeter beater pro for christmas. its pretty light, has a bug net,  and I will still bring my pad , the tarps that they have out for the hammocks plus the ropes and the hammock along with the underquilt and sleeping bag, comes out to just over five pounds thats everything I need to sleep with so it does  really weigh less than a tent with all the other stuff you bring . I just want to know how many people are doing it and thier set up for backcountry hunting. thanks.

I usually just take a sleeping bag and pad and crash on the ground. I like the idea of the ground more because it keeps you more insulated and you don't lose heat from the top and bottom of your body just the top.

Never tried the hammock thing, but have tried the Bivy and I can say I hated it.  It was too claustrophobic and not much fun in the rain.  I prefer packing an extra pound or two and bring a tent.  Lots more room

GoatT said:
Never tried the hammock thing, but have tried the Bivy and I can say I hated it.  It was too claustrophobic and not much fun in the rain.  I prefer packing an extra pound or two and bring a tent.  Lots more room

I'm gonna start just packing rain fly, poles, and footprint to save weight during the winter when theres no bugs.  leave the tent at home

I have an Eno hammock which I like.  My warning is that they wick heat out of your body with any wind so you either have to step up your sleeping bag rating (which adds weight) or employ the hammock when you know you have fair weather conditions.  A tarp hung above from a rope helps with rain protection, but then it's again adding weight and a little difficult to utilize in the moment.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back