Has anyones game plan changed going into this year?

iccyman001

Apr 30, 2014
Are you overdue for an elk in the freezer? So are you shooting the first legal elk you see?
Maybe it\'s the complete opposite, you shot a monster the past few years and will not shoot anything under 350\"?

What kind of game plan do you have going into this year?

Or are you like me and it changes every day :haha:

Last year was one I would like to forget so I would like to put some meat in the freezer again.

I usually hold out for a bull for the first week then it\'s first legal adult. That has changed a couple of times at the last second though.

Last year was only my second season hunting elk so my goal was mainly to try and connect on a decent cow or any bull. I was lucky enough to tag out with a nice fatty cow. This year I would like to get a bull but if a fat cow steps out in front of me again she might get an arrow. You cant eat horns but they sure do look good on the wall.

Big change. With a baby on the way I\'m not sure how much I\'ll get out. Gonna take a season \"off\", i.e. I\'m only going to kill 4-5 species :) but probably will hunt elk in a new area closer to home

My change is adding archery to my list of hunts. I\'m hoping to get lucky and somehow fill my freezer with two elk this year, but I will be very happy with one. This has put a wrench into some of my planning, but at least I\'ll be in the elk woods a bit more this year! Like Will, I\'ll be trying to find somewhere closer to home to archery hunt since I won\'t be able to dedicate a bunch of time to it.

If I don\'t draw Unit 2 this year, my game plan will change somewhat but not drastically since I won\'t have put in for vacation by the time I know the draw outcome. It\'ll be 340\" bull or nothing for that hunt.

I went ahead and leased the property I had last year as a backup so may or may not even hunt it. If I draw my Unit 2 tag, it\'s a Type A license so I couldn\'t hunt bulls on the leased property anyways. There\'s an OTC cow archery tag I could use on the lease but if I already have a bull in the freezer then not really any reason to spend the time/money to go take a cow. But, this will secure it for me next year.

\"otcWill\" said:
Big change. With a baby on the way I\'m not sure how much I\'ll get out. Gonna take a season \"off\", i.e. I\'m only going to kill 4-5 species :) but probably will hunt elk in a new area closer to home

:lol: :lol: :lol:

im like you dan, my plans change daily. plannin on applying for a muzzleloader tag for my son and focus on him. however, he waivers and has school so that may change. i am putting in for my third pp for moose.

\"bnsafe\" said:
im like you dan, my plans change daily. plannin on applying for a muzzleloader tag for my son and focus on him. however, he waivers and has school so that may change. i am putting in for my third pp for moose.

I hope he draws. I\'d love to see the victory pictures. :wave: :upthumb:
I also REALLY hope you draw moose.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back