Has bowhunting become a long range sport?

Gamecaller

Aug 19, 2015
I see each and every day the negative comments on social media regarding what is too far for an Archery shot. It used to be 50 yards was considered long distance, now I see guys posting pics of animals shot at 70-90 yards sometimes even 100+. I also read all the time about guys who claim they "practice" at 60-100 yards to make a 30 yard shot seem easy. To me this is analogy is like saying a basketball player practices from half court all day to make a layup seem easier. I'm just afraid that our game department will start cracking down on this by making our season short or all a draw. What is everyone's thoughts

I practice a lot of "long range". With broadheads on, out to 85. Field tips usually about 120. There is no question about it, everything at those distances is more challenging. In my opinion does it make you a better archer...sure. Do you still have to practice the "lay ups", yes.  Do this make the person a better hunter, absolutely not. I am not going to judge people, ultimately they know their limitations and what they are capable of. A lot can happen in 100 yards no matter how fast your bow is.  For me i am shooting 509g injexions at 285fps, loaded with KE. I would never shoot and elk past 70 and would rarely take a shot at 70. I guarantee Cameron Hanes could hit his mark closer at 100 yards than most at 50. Point being in my eyes, everyone knows their limitations and needs to be realistic with themselves when making a quick ethical kill.

bow_dozer makes some great points, added distance in practice does make someone a better shot but not necessarily a better hunter. I like to stretch my practice distances out over the 100 yd mark pretty regularly, but my self-imposed field limit is 60 yards. I have yet to take a shot at anything over 40 in nearly 20 years of archery hunting. I firmly believe that part of any hunter's (especially archery) skill set should be emphasized by an ability to get close. Too many factors come into play the further away we are with a stick and string.
Great discussion topic.

i practice long range to help refine my form and tuning but i do knwo what my limits on live game is as well.

I think this is one of those topics where there is no right answer. Personally, I have shot animals out to 70 yards with the bow. I practice much further, and the animals at those long distances were completely unaware of my presence. I would never take a shot that far at an animal that knew I was there. That said, I believe it is very important to practice those long shots because on occasion I need a follow up shot and it can be hard to get within shooting distance of an injured animal that is on edge.

Nick

I think in some sense it has,  but that's also because of the technology today.  It is beyond impressive to be able to pick a bow up off of the rack, sight in out to 60, and then go and hunt.  I practice out to 60 yards all the time.  This does make those shorter shots easier.  As far as hunting game I'm very confident between 50 and 60 but try to limit myself.  The other day I had an antelope at 76 yards standing broadside with no wind and I elected to pass because I was uncomfortable with the shot.  My equipmentis more than capable of executing that shot but I believe beyond my ability at this point.  This is only because I don't practice out that far.  Even if I had I still believe I would have passed as the envelope was alert and aware.  With those factors there is just too much room for error.

Heres a quote from Steven Rinella, something like "if you shoot hoping to hit the animal it is too far" he was talking about long range shooting of both rifle and archery equipment..
I think when you know you can make the shot and the situation is right go for it. Meaning, they are unaware of you and not likely to take a step, because a lot can happen between the time the arrow leaves your bow..
I personally limit myself to 50-60 yards on elk..

I save the long distance shots for playing around. 60 yards is pushing it for me in a hunting situation.

I don't and never will judge someone for their efforts.  I personally don't have the desire to shoot an animal past 50-60 yds with my bow.  I am a whitetail hunter going on my first elk hunt this year and I am used to be in very close engagement ranges with whitetails.  I love being close to the animal I am going to take aim and try to tag so I don't ever see me taking a shot at those long distances but if someone else wants to try it, I won't call them out for it.

When I've been shooting a ton, I'd shoot out to 70-80 yards no problem.  If the equipment is capable (it is), and the shooter's capable, then why not? 

However, I've been to enough 3D archery shoots to know that most people are not capable.  I'm not judging - the shoots are for fun - but, when it comes to throwing broadheads at animals, you better be realistic about your abilities.

I think that if an individual feels comfortable at a long range to make an ethical clean kill there is nothing wrong with that. With today's technology longer distances with a bow are more do able. I personally like to shoot at very long distances for fun but have limitations when trying to kill an animal and those limitations are reflected upon the animal I'm hunting.

when I started archery hunting in the 1970's a long shot was 15 yards, yes technology has advanced , I now shoot better at 90 yards than I did back then at 10 yards and have better penetration at 90, I love the 10 and under shots on elk, thats my thing but I do practice out to 90 because it makes me a more ethical hunter since now I can put in a second arrow that close range only hunters may not and 2 arrow bleed twice as much = a quicker kill and less chance of loosing an animal .

I feel the animal you are shooting at makes a difference in how far is accetible. Not feeling good about KE left at long distance when shooting at elk. A small deer is different.

With the advances in bows and arrows i think you can efficiently take game at farther distances than you could 20+ years ago. I limit myself to 55 and under when hunting although i practice out to 75 yards

With the new bow technology it's not super shocking to see guys take 80 yard shots. My limit is 50. I'd rather know I'm going to make a kill shot than risk injuring an animal. 

Well with all these 100+ yard capabilities, I haven't seen a dynamic up-swing on hunter success rates in the last 26 years in Idaho.
[/size]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/size]The basketball player analogy is not a realistic comparison. Of all my shots over the past 26 years on elk average out to no more than 30 yards away. Now, that doesnt mean Im just going to practice at 30 yards. Im going to practice as far away from the target that I can safely make shots. It teaches focus and confidence. And No, I dont and will not take long range shots at living creatures with my bow. [/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]People are going to do stupid things regardless of what you are discussing whether it be long range bowhunting, texting while driving, or smoking cigarettes. It's our duty as ethical hunters to let these "Longrange Bowhunters" know that it's just unacceptable and disrespectful to the animals we cherish and love pursuing each fall. It shouldn't be an argument among hunters, rather recognizing what the right thing to do ethically, and putting into practice. [/font]

I certainly hope not, I practice out beyond 60 but I am no where near comfortable harvesting a critter that far! However everyone is different. I respect those who choose differently but i hate seeing wounded critters...it certainly doesnt do our sport any good either.

I practice out to 70 yards and to me it seems to help with my 40 yard shots. It helps to produce a better form and builds the muscles because I hold my draw for longer.

I only have a week to get it done so I try to be in the best shape, have the most reliable equipment, and extend my range as comfortable as possible. right now I'm good to 70 yds.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back