has it ever came to fisticuffs over a freshly killed elk???

stablebuck

Dec 28, 2012
You read and hear about a lot of times where guys got into arguments over who killed an elk or someone finishes off a wounded elk that you were tracking...etc...BUT I'm curious if anyone has a story of a time where the gloves actually came off and the fur started flying...
Entertain me!

Actually yes 4 years agoe i had a spike tag and these guys from the city(wont name where) had moved in where our family had been hunting for 30+yrs well I could hear the elk coming and this guy kept looking around the tree he was behind to see if my wife and I were getting ready then the Elk came through and i shot one standing broad side to me and cornering to him the others in my party said the guy didnt shoot and the evidence of bullet entrance and exit told the tail but he claims he shot it,got into a shoving match while my wife was on the phone with OSP then we hit eachother once each and it was broke up,when the cop showed up he could not do anything because there was no law broken.needless to say the guy did not bring a knife to gut the elk so i had to then lost the coin toss and was elkless thats when i decided to archery hunt.

Never been in one myself, but a good friend of mine shot a spike and found him pretty quickly. He then left to go get help to quarter him and pack it out. When they returned there were 3 guys standing over his elk. They said one of them had shot it. My friend called the police. Once the police arrived they told him that there was not a whole lot they could do. He then asked the cops "what if I can prove the elk is mine", he then looked at the cop and said 1996. The cop looked at him puzzled. He walked over to his spike and pulled a 1996 quarter from the spikes mouth. He had placed the quarter in the spikes mouth before going back to camp. There was nothing the 3 guys could say. He said the cop gave these guys a pretty good toungue lashing. My friend had read or heard about the quarter trick and carries a few quarters for this purpose.

ghost said:
Never been in one myself, but a good friend of mine shot a spike and found him pretty quickly. He then left to go get help to quarter him and pack it out. We they returned there were 3 guys standing over his elk. They said one of them had shot it. My friend called the police. Once the police arrived they told him that there was not a whole lot they could do. He then asked the cops "what if I can prove the elk is mine", he then looked at the cop and said 1996. The cop looked at him puzzled. He walked over to his spike and pulled a 1996 quarter from the spikes mouth. He had placed the quarter in the spikes mouth before going back to camp. There was nothing the 3 guys could say. He said the cop gave these guys a pretty good toungue lashing. My friend had read or heard about the quarter trick and carries a few quarters for this purpose.

wow that's a great idea

I know a guy that did the same thing but with cutting a part of the tongue out instead and taking it with him.

Bucklucky said:
I know a guy that did the same thing but with cutting a part of the tongue out instead and taking it with him.

that's even better.  I didn't realize there were that many elk thieves out there

wow thats a great idea about the quarter. I am going to start carrying a quarter with me. I never realized there were so many elk thieves either.

Seems to be prominent during rifle elk hunts,typically elk are spotted in an open cut and everyone shoots,or the sound of the shot clues guys in and they head that way,bow hunting being a close and quiet game it is less likely,but i have heard of it happening.

After my friend shot his elk and I saw how big it was and I knew I had to help carry it out, I thought about beating his a**... ;)
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Love this idea, I need to figure out what I want to do it I run into this situation.  Thanks for posting this!

It has happened to archery hunters also. Budy had a cow stolen as he went back for the pack board.... rediculas really. I even seen a guy take a spike bull that a 12 year old kid shot during rifle season quite a while ago, jumped out of his truck right after the kid dumped it and threw his tag on it ..... pathetic.

Bucklucky said:
It has happened to archery hunters also. Budy had a cow stolen as he went back for the pack board.... rediculas really. I even seen a guy take a spike bull that a 12 year old kid shot during rifle season quite a while ago, jumped out of his truck right after the kid dumped it and threw his tag on it ..... pathetic.

man that is about the lowest thing i've ever heard

the quarter trick is a good idea!  Some "good" stories so far...reminds me why I'm solely archery for big game since 2007!  Even then it is not impossible for someone to make a fool out of themselves on the mountain...just less chance of it happening...

The only thing I would do different than my buddy would be to cut a slit in the tongue and insert the quarter there.  If they move the elk there is a chance the quarter could fall off the mouth otherwise.

I agree Ghost! I would put a slit in the hide some where inconspicuos(spelling?) and that way it would be hard to find.

My 16 year old Son finished off a nice bull this year that was obviously wounded. Shortly an older couple showed up, the wife had shot the bull first. The old man seemed ready for an argument. We had decided to let them have it before they arrived so she recieved a congrats from the boy and we left.

I haven't really seen physical fighting but have seen guys arguing. I love the quarter idea and will start using it this fall. Never had issues with anyone personally but want to protect what I rightfully earned.

Never seen one over an elk, but I remember growing up and having one of my father's deer taken from him by another hunter that came over the ridge after hearing the shot from my dad and claiming he shot it, even though it was only about 50 yards away from us when my dad shot it.  My dad figured it wasn't worth the fight and so he let him have it.  My dad shot an even bigger deer a few days later. 

I have been shot at in the marsh because someone didn't like that we were set up where they apparently liked to set up.     

Two years ago during rifle season I witnessed a guy shoot an elk and it rolled down the hill and there just happened to be a road where the elk stopped rolling.  Well the man was an elderly guy and his group had dropped him off on this ridge and wouldnt be back for a couple of hours so i decided to go with him and help him cut up his elk.  Well when we got down to the road there were four guys already cutting this elderly mans elk up. I confronted the individuals about it and they said it was their elk.  Well needles to say i was getting pretty with these four guys for not having any ethics when it comes to hunting and trying to take this poor old guys elk.  So i called the fish and game and while on their way up one of the guys decided to point his rifle at me and said if you dont leave us alone i will shoot you.  So i just stood there and waited for the Officer to come up.  Well when he arrived it just happened to be an Officer i knew.  When the Officer walked up to the ground he said to me " well Officer Castro whats going on today".  The look on these four hunters faces when they realized i was a police officer myself.  They tried to say they were just cutting up the elk for us but they were full of it.  The one who pointed the rifle at me was given a citation and the Officer that arrived made them finish cutting up the elk and he followed all of us in those guys pick up back to the old mans camp where they helped hang the elk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back