Haul Road

Scot

Here is a link that has TONS of info about Alaska.

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/index.php\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/index.php</a><!-- m -->

When I hunted Ak in the 1998, we flew from ANC into Illiamna and then a float plane out to the Mulchatna.
Had a great time, shot 4 bulls on day 1.
But since that time, the herd numbers crashed but I hear that they are rebuilding now.

I also read thru the CHAT from last night and saw the inquiry about 40Mile Air.
They provide a good service, but the issue is that they reserve hunts to previous people that have booked with them.
Then only after those have booked do they book new hunters.
And by the time you get someone on the phone, they are booked for the next year.

If you are interested in a hunt in AK, I have done lots of research and have some info on bush pilots / gear that would get you started.
The cost always depends on what kind of camp you want.
If you want a comfortable camp, it will cost a bit more.
If you want to fly in on a SuperCub with 60lb of gear per person, you will pay a bit less.
Moose hunts cost more than Caribou hunts, just for the transportation costs of meat from field to base.

Thanks for the link Brad...was thinking DIY to keep costs down and the research I\'ve done over the years always came back to a haul road hunt...maybe not something I would like, but if you get away from the road and the crowds it might not be to bad. Its been a while since I have looked at a caribou hunt...maybe things have got worse.

crunched some quick numbers...split four ways it could be done for $1500/person...two week hunt leaving from MN.

Hey Farancis...that would be driving... probably would eat up most of one week in travel time. Depending on gas prices it would be around five to six hundred per person in gas.

That\'s not as bad as I thought it would be. I spend that going elk hunting.

Some info for your guys

Here is a trucking company that will bring your meat/trophy down to the lower US

Also, with those gas prices you could fly

Attachments

• Alaska express.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 400
Same here...I would be interested In doing this hunt in 2016...to much planned for this year already.

Hey Brad...you think it can be done for $1500 flying...how would it work taking freezer and generator and butchering on site, depending on time of year.

I just sent my buddy in ANC a text asking him about the Haul Road
Here is his reply...

\'Hit & Miss. Its all timing with \'bou and other hunters. It can go either way. A fun bow hunt if your near the road and no other hunters screw you up by sticking animals. If youre rifle hunting, you have to be 5 miles off the roadway to be legal.
NO ATV/UTV use
Not many people do that for a \'bou. Its really tuff walking over the hossacks\'

There you have straight from Alaska in the past 5 min.

My take is if Im going to Alaska to hunt, Im getting AWAY from the roads, either by another flight into the bush or an ARGO.

That\'s pretty much the same info I have been getting...but they said if you get off the road a couple of miles or cross the river you get away from most of that.

In the next day or two I will post a few pics of my \'bou hunt what its like packing meat in the damn hussacks.
We were close to camp and it SUCKED!!!

We shot 4 bulls the first day

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back