Haul Road

I was looking at the link Brad posted and I saw something good to know. Starting in 2016 if you bow hunt you have to have completed a bowhunter ed class to hunt. If you have taken one somewhere else it is good but you have the have proof.

That\'s true about the Bowhunter ED. There have been units up there you needed it, but now it\'s gonna needed everywhere.

Here are some pics of the hunt I did back in the late \'90s that show the tussacks and caribou terrain where we were.
Im not sure if a sled would work or not.

As far as the $1500, since youre going to ALASKA! Im not sure if I would skimp a lot.
Enjoy the trip, youre probably not going back for awhile

Check out he last pic with all the caribou migrating thru

Attachments

• AK_caribou0004.jpg
    AK_caribou0004.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 364
  • AK_caribou0003.jpg
    AK_caribou0003.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 364
  • AK_caribou0002.jpg
    AK_caribou0002.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 364
  • AK_caribou0001.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 364
Looks like it was a great trip Brad. Did you do a diy hunt or when you flue in did you go to a camp that was set up allready?

Im a DIY guy.
We flew in on a Beaver so weight wasnt much of an issue but we still parred things back.
Like we only took one rifle and one shotgun between the 2 of us.

We had a fly over the day after we tagged out and he stopped and we had two hours to take down camp and get stuff ready to leave

Attachments

• Alaska20003-001.jpg
    Alaska20003-001.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 362
  • Alaska20002-001.jpg
    Alaska20002-001.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 362
  • Alaska20001-001.jpg
    Alaska20001-001.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 362
thanks for taking the time to post the pictures Brad...would you mind running threw the logistics of your trip.

I already made the statement in the BTO live.

I am just going to suck it up and get orders to be stationed in Alaska.
Then everyone can just come stay with me. :upthumb:

Sound good? :wave:

Hey Dan I saw on the Alaska regs tags will be cheap for you to hunt being in the service. :upthumb:

great pics brad. dan it might be tough depending on your family situation, but, alaska is a bucket list dream for most, if you have the chance ...........................

It won\'t be tough at all.
It is a bucket list destination for us too.

We are ready to try somewhere new. :upthumb:

\"Scot320\" said:
thanks for taking the time to post the pictures Brad...would you mind running threw the logistics of your trip.

I sure will. It will be based upon FLYING - a lot.

Here is a start. But remember, my buddy lives there so it was a bit easier. And flying has changed big time since I went

Schedule your flight to ANC to arrive very early in the morning 4am or so. [Sleep on plane]
Go get breakfast, your license and any other misc items you need.

Back to the airport to get a charter flight to Iliamna

Some key points here:
Board plane and get a seat in the front if you can. The plane will be full of hunters doing the same as you. Once you arrive at the destination, its helter skelter.
Have your hip boots packed ON TOP of your gear bag. You will be putting them on pretty much as soon as you get of the plane and get on a float plane. And you will need them on once that float plane lands.

Have ear protection in your pocket when flying in bush planes, those things are LOUD.

More to come

Tips

A well known way to have a plane land near your camp and check on you is to stake out a tarp by the corners.
Dont put anything on it, make it visible, shiny side up [if it has a shiny side]
You would be amazed of the amount of air traffic!

Upon arrival at your camp, find a long stick and tie long flagging ribbons on it and stick it in the ground where pilots can see it.
This does a couple of things.
1- It give the pilots an idea about wind conditions on the ground
2- It will notify other pilots that hunters are in the area [if your tent is somewhat hidden]

Its obvious you cant fly and hunt the same day, when scheduling your flights, you need to make a plan and think backwards.

So if you want a five day hunt, you will need at least 1.5 days of traveling on the front end.

You will not want to book any commercial flights with online brokers. Book directly with the airline you will be flying. [i.e. Alaska Air]
That way you can change your flight status with a representative from that airline, and not with a 3rd party.

Flying with meat.

After your hunt, ship as much gear home. Premake some labels so you can pack these boxes and ship.
Get your meat froze and packed. Check these boxes as luggage when coming home.
Will you pay extra? Absolutely. Part of the cost

Flying with antlers.

Check with your airlines and their policy.
Unless you shoot a record book animal, split the skull cap and lay the antlers together and tape.
Tape rubber hose pieces over the antler tips to protect.
Ship them home with your gear, or check them as luggage [more $$$]

So, in your gear you will also need to bring up is labels, duct tape and some hose

Or, you can ship this stuff and gear up before you go - [most Air Taxis will hold it for you] and send it back when your hunt is over.

Just think about items you wont need, and can ship them via USPS [or other] and it will arrive after you get home.

I hope this info is helpful

awesome info brad, thanks. man i would like to do this. a caribou is on my wish i could be never gonna happen list.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back