Have you ever had to spend the night?

Fullabull

Jan 2, 2013
Has anyone had to spend the night in the woods not intentionally? I have not and hope it never happens but wanted to hear if anyone else has and what you did for shelter and warmth?

Fullabull,

Yes. A few years back, we were down to our last 2 days of hunting. My buddy, Burdette, dropped me off at daylight at the mouth of a big canyon with a plan to meet me back there at dark. I hiked in around 6 miles and finally, in the early afternoon, got my first response. I proceeded to mess up the set up on that bull, aswell as another just minutes later. I was bummed, and hung my head to hike back to the truck, certain I was going to go without filling my tag.

About halfway back to the trailhead, I bumped some elk and sprinted up the trail to see the bull standing broadside 35 yards away. I drew and shot and watched the bull run to the bottom of the draw and out of sight. Fortunately, I managed to get Burdette on the radio and told him to bring the packframes and some food/water!

I didn't follow the bloodtrail at all, and Burdette finally arrived around 11PM. We took up the bloodtrail and found the bull had crossed the creek and left no blood trail on the other side. After an hour of looking around in the dark, completely exhausted, we decided to sleep there and resume the trail in the morning.

It was the longest, cold, uncomfortable night of my life. We built a small fire and curled around it, added small pieces of wood through the night. The cold, hard ground was not fun to lay on, and with only a shirt and vest for insulation, I didn't get much sleep. Burdette, on the other hand, had a space blanket in his pack from 1988 and snored through the night... :)

As soon as it was light enough to see, I was up running up and down the hill to warm up and we found the bull piled up 100 yards later. The pack out on that bull was just about as good of a story as the previous night, but we made it out to the truck a little before dark that night, with a punched elk tag!

Nice bull.  I haven't had to do it yet, but have come close.  Once had to pack out in the dark with no light except for the moon and didn't get back to the truck until about 2:30 in the morning.  it was a long pack out. 

This last year my buddy shot a bull at about 6 in the afternoon. We hadn't planned on staying another night and we were going to hike out that night. We waited for about an hour or so cause my buddy thought he hit the bull a little far back. We tracked the bull for awhile and finally it was dark enough that we couldn't see anymore blood or good sign so we hiked back to were our packs were at and stayed the night. I slept great because I hadn't made the bad shot haha. But my buddy slept like crap worrying about his elk. The next morning we picked up the trail and had to follow it across a sagebrush opening. We walked into the trees and the elk was laying there about 30 yards in the trees. He was still alive but very sick. My buddy shot him again and he stood up and ran about 100 yards and expired. After the bull ran the second time I thought we were in for a VERY long day, but we were out by dark that night.

Got caught in a boomer of a thunderstorm and decided to wait it out. Found a nice tree with low heavy branches, made a pine needle bed and pulled out a space blanket and stocking cap and slept just fine.  I gotta second the space blanket, they pack small and make a huge difference. Plus they make a great ground cloth if you need one while working on your elk!

Never had to while hunting, but fishing I have. Lake Sakakawea back in the Little Missouri arm a storm came up on us with little warning (also wasn't really paying attention) and ended up spending the night in a bay with no access to anything and very little supplies in the boat. Normally I wouldn't even flinch about a situation like this but with 30 mph winds, lightning and hail approaching it made for a brutal night.

I have had a space blanket in my day pack for years, after these stories I'm glad I still have it in there :)

nclonghunter said:
I need to include a space blanket in my day pack...great info
There is a space "bag" made that is much better than the blanket.  The bag is just like a mummy bag and covers your entire body. 

I would recommend the bag over the blanket.  Only a few dollars more.

That is cool, I'm going to get a couple of those for my son and I. thanks for bringing the emergency bag up!

right - I said space blanket - but all mine are bags. My son used one on a weekend summer outing because he didn't want to pack a tent and the weather was nice. Said it was awesome. Plus he woke up with a deer sniffing him. Says that is the way to go for summertime hikes.

I have several types, there are some that are really thin and others that seem to be thicker. I think we had coleman brand...or something we bought at the local bimart for a couple bucks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back