having some trouble

Bullhunter

Jan 2, 2013
I'm hunting the McCall unit in Idaho and it's freaking hot. Around 75 to 80 during the day so the rut hasn't hit full swing. The elk are on fire first thing as daylight starts coming up but go silent around 8 am. Then I don't hear a bugle for the rest of the day till Bout 15 mins before dark. I've tried everything I can think of but am having no luck getting the elk to talk throughout the day.  Any suggestions?

If it's hot I would be sitting wallows or water holes during the day, or find trails leading from bedding to feeding areas and ambush them. Keep at it, and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Ruttin, if it is that hot during the day, they are going to water at some point during the day.

Kevin

The area I hunt is the same, water every where. But if you can scout or have a place you can see a long ways, the elk will prefer certain water sources to get a drink. I think this is where getting to know an area over many years can be a huge bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also staying in the herds back packet you'd be suprised how vocal they are all day even on hot days.  Had a herd bed in a draw next to a wallow I was sitting, and one of the hotter days this season the herd bull made noise about every 30-45 minutes.  Not bugling, but just a hear I am grunt/growl noise that you had to be withinseveral hundred yards or you wouldn't hear it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back