Heading out again this weekend

AWHunt CDAID

Jan 9, 2013
Top O' the morning. Well heading back into the woods this weekend for the late season archery hunt here in North Idaho. I am able to borrow a snowmobile from a friend and am looking for suggestions on a pace to go or someone to go with.

Sure do wish I lived closer. I have been thinking of this hunt since early bow season ended. Keep us informed on your hunt.

Shootz A Lot said:
Sure do wish I lived closer. I have been thinking of this hunt since early bow season ended. Keep us informed on your hunt.

I have already cleared it with the wife so I should be able to go everyday of the weekend and hopefully will see some animals. I am going out on a snowmobile so I should be able to get to some places where I normally wouldn't be able to get to.

Well tags were not filled, although you cannot say it was from the lack of effort. This weekend was the last time I was able to get out in the woods, so lets read aboutthe experiences.

Friday brought some fresh snow with it, but I didn't locate any tracks until I was headed back to the truck and they were probably 5-6 hours old, nothing worse than 5-6 hour cold track soup except the fresh elk poop soup; both are not really filling.

Saturday, no new snow but it was a beautiful day anyway. I was able to get into a group of about 20-25 cows before I got busted and cows were barking everywhere. It was weird because they didn't really bolt, they hung out at 30 yards barking making all sorts of noise. The bark is pretty loud.

Sunday, another gorgeous day. Didn't see any animals until I made my way to the very top. i made my way onto a logging road that was covered with thigh deep snow and I see a cow moose, she apparently didn't notice me because she was looking at something up above me. I scan the forest to see what she is looking at and it is a beautiful 4x4 whitetail at 25 yards, to bad deer season was not open. So the deer moves off and so does the moose and I start heading up the road. After walking 40-50 yards i see a couple of cow elk, one is bedded down at 60 yards and the other staring directly at me at 118 yards; so I freeze afraid of another blow out. The cow that was bedded didn't move and the other didn't seem to care either but she eventually moved enough that I could start moving up the hill so i can get around them. This goes on for about 1-1 1/2 hours until I hear an elk (not any of the ones I was watching) bark, then they all do the boot scoot and boogie. As I am headed down the mountain I see another hunters tracks going up to about where I was, he must have gotten busted and screwed it all up.

iwill be practicing for the rest of the year and look forward to being in the woods for next archery season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back