Hearing aids

87TT

Mar 29, 2018
OK, I've come to the point where I'm seriously thinking about hearing aids. I am 66 years old and truth be known, I probably have needed them for a few years. I had my hearing checked a few years ago and the Doctor told me then that I had high frequency hearing loss probably from shooting when I was younger without hearing protection and power tools from working in construction.
My question is, does anybody have them and how do they help with hunting. I think or thought I could hear pretty good in the woods. But not sure if I'm missing things like cow calls and quiet bugles. How are they for determining direction and distance? Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

I?m 35 and I?m the same boat sir. I finally bit the bullet and got some after my buddies kept going ?did you hear that bugle?, and I didn?t.  It?s frustrating. And my wife likes the fact we can watch tv at the same volume she prefers now.  Ultimately, I had reservations too.  35 with hearing aids is just not that cool!  I?m done being ?cool? though.  I got a pair of eco resounds.  They aren?t cheap, but insurance covered most of the cost.  They are Bluetooth, and rechargeable.  So I can connect up to my phone and listen to music or take calls.  Or better yet, have someone call and spot me in on a sand dune muley with my bow.  Ethical? Lol.  Still have to get the job done though right? 

All in all, I?m glad I made the leap.  After a month or so of wearing them I realized how deaf I was.  I can hear bugles again!  They also have different settings you can adjust from your phone (Bluetooth) so it has sound dampening options for loud noises.  I still wouldn?t go shoot with them on without hearing protection, but it helps a little.  They also have an ?outdoor? option which accelerates that sound environment.  I can literally sit in a bow stand and hear the leaves crumble when a deer walks now.   

The biggest point I will make is that it feels like I got part of my daily life back.  No more filling in the blanks or saying ?huh? to every other word my wife and kids say.  Not that I couldn?t get by, but man it is so much better now.  Lastly, the main reason I did it now is that it?s prevents further hearing deterioration.  I couldn?t imagine what it would be like when I was 50 based on wearing them for 3 months now.  Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On your question regarding direction and distance...  the new era of hearing aids (or at least mine) automatically focus on sound in the direction your are focused.  For instance, in a restaurant where noise and chatter level is high, it dampens the outside chatter and hones in on the decibels in front of you.  In a hunting/outdoor setting, it is going to pick up everything and let you judge direction and distance.  Much like you normally would without them. 

Thank you for the great reply. I am going to make an appointment real soon. I heard I could go to the VA but then a friend said he was turned down because he made too much on his pension. But one way or another, I need to work this out..

You don?t have to get the fancy ones.  Rechargeable battery options are nice to have if you were going to pick anything.  I think Costco has some pretty good ones too.  I imagine regardless of model and cost, they all will serve a good purpose for those who hunt and can?t hear!

Wow woodardd, great post and man did you hit home with me. Same age and I've got pretty bad hearing, but keep putting off getting it checked. Last year everyone was hearing bugles and I couldn't hear anything. Guess it's time to finally bite the bullet!

I?m telling you guys, I was very skeptical.  I even tried to fool the hearing test so I wouldn?t qualify for them.  They take some getting used to, but stay committed and give them a month and you won?t regret it.  Especially when it comes to hunting by sound like rutting elk.  Even on a stalk, you are so much more aware of the little sounds you never heard before.  Big proponent of them now if you can?t tell.  The only downfall is that all of the men in my family are now in the doghouse because their wives say, ?he?s 35, if he can do it you can!?

Woodardd, did a search for eco resound and didn?t find anything. How did you find out about them?

I got that wrong, I just confirmed what they are.

Resound Linx Quattro

https://www.resound.com/en-us

Not sure where I got that eco from.  My audiologist had me try on a couple of different ones.  I actually had him order a pair of phonak marvels, but didn?t like them as much due to decibel range and aesthetics.  I liked the dull finish matched close to hair color.  Either one of those are top notch though. 

87TT, woodardd pretty much summed it all up.  I have been wearing aids since my mid 40s so almost 10 years.  Definitely don't go cheap if possible.  Mine are Oticon and was partially covered by insurance but work like woodardd said.

4 settings that can be programmed.  My 'hunting' setting has the volume increased with wind reduced/filtered.  Actually, it has 5 settings if you consider 'wife(off)' as one!

Might be more expensive but here's a link to the Oticon Opn brand.

https://www.oticon.com/solutions/opn

You will NOT regret getting them, I guarantee.

Derek, I thought you were much older!  ;)  LOL!

colorado russ said:
Actually, it has 5 settings if you consider 'wife(off)' as one!

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!

colorado russ said:
Derek, I thought you were much older!  ;)  LOL!

I'm very mature for my age...errr something like that  :haha:

Well, got the hearing test done today and yep...I'm deaf! Hahaha, actually mild to moderate hearing loss. Time to get some hearing aids going.

One question for you guys: do you have the in-ear aids or the ones that sit behind your ear? Any advantage or disadvantage you saw to one or the other?

There ya go!  It?s ironic that in the chart they draw a line down the middle and refer to left side male voices, right side female voices.  My hearing loss is mainly on the right side of that chart!  Mine go inside the ear and have the piece that rests on the back side of your ear.  I didn?t test any other types. 
8d278fe89e29de97d649341a3e0e7742.jpg

Today must have been the day. Went to Beltone this morning and found out that my right ear is good, but left is crap. High tone 2000-8000 is the issue. Right around the range of an elk bugle. Getting fitted for one next week! Don?t care that I can?t hear the wife or TV, but a bugle, not putting up with that.

jstephens61 said:
Don?t care that I can?t hear the wife or TV, but a bugle, not putting up with that.

:lol: seems like we're all on the same page!!! We might have to see if Corey can start selling hearing aids...

I got tested right after I started this thread  My high frequency was shot. My right ear more than my left. My low frequency was normal. I tried some in the store. Ordered some ReSound ones and go in tomorrow to pick them up. I got them at Costco.

87TT said:
I got tested right after I started this thread  My high frequency was shot. My right ear more than my left. My low frequency was normal. I tried some in the store. Ordered some ReSound ones and go in tomorrow to pick them up. I got them at Costco.

Let me know what you think of Costco. I'm considering doing the same thing. Did they let you try a bunch of different ones on before ordering? Did they charge you extra for any of that or is it all included in a purchase of the hearing aids?

Derek, mine are behind the ear style.  I thought about the in-ear ones but my audiologist recommended against based on my ear canal.  Even though first thought is people will see them, I have more people not notice than do.  Just grow your hair longer to cover!

I bet pretty much all of our loss will be high frequency.  Mine due to not wearing ear protection when rifle hunting and shooting a rifle with a muzzle brake, construction work when younger and then got married and wife started yelling at me...ALOT!  :)

I will say this and it aligns with others on topics of boots, sleeping bags, packs,...buy the best you can afford(within reason).  You'll be very disappointed if buy some of those $200 specials that just amplify the sounds around you - you will be able to hear the high frequency then low frequency will seem super loud.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back