High hits and lost game

Smtn10pt

Jan 9, 2013
A buddy of mine called me from his treestand on opening day of bow season telling me he just smoked a monster whitetail.  He said the hit might have gone in a little high but he had the shot on video and it looked good enough to kill the deer.  I talked him in to waiting for an hour to take up the trail, just in case.  Well he never found the deer and after searching the area for days he was crushed.  I said maybe you hit high in the chest cavity and only clipped one lung.  He didnt think that was possible, but a week later his trail cam snapped this pic.  Thats a Spitfire hole in his side.  I would have never though you could put an 1.5" hole in a deers chest cavity and have it survive but this one did. 

Luckily for my friend he got another chance at this buck and he made his second arrow count!

IMG_0378_zps4a49b6d6.jpg

Unreal, I have never heard of something like that. Full pass through I'm assuming?
Nice job to your buddy who kept at it until he got him.

Hight wize from a tree stand I would say that is about right but maybe back a little, but  is hard to tell unless you where in the stand to see the angle. Hice buck and glad all ended well.

that the exit?

I hit a deer high two years ago - jumped the string and hit spine. He broke the broadhead off and we tracked for days. Found him alive and well doing fine. Hoped to get him again this year. Close but never got him. He is still chasing the girls! He hangs out in the same area year round. So maybe next year. Still makes my upset, but he seems to be doing just fine as far as we can see.

Yes, I believe thats the exit.  He must have went just under the spine with that shot.

If he shot out of a tree stand and that's the exit he's way high. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back