Holy sh$t! An elk!

SarcasmPhD

Jun 14, 2015
Those words crossed my lips Tuesday evening as I was set up. I got in Monday night from TX. spent the morning climbing to 10164' on a mountain with no trail. Thank god I trained for over two months using a weighed pack, eventually carrying 110#. It was the elevation that kicked my tuckus. At the top, I ate then passed out. Woke all groggy, laying on the ridgeline floor, when I finally hear a bugle in the valley below. And that was it for elk sounds that day. Got no response to contact bugles. After working my way down the mountain to my truck, it began to rain. Hung out until it stopped then worked my way to a meadow I had seen on the map. Once there, I checked the wind, which was calm and set up. Of course the wind kicks in, so I moved my position and began calling. Threw nothing but lost mews out, yes I subscribe to Chris Roe. As minutes are going by I call here and there. Check distances with my range finder. Then I look to the far side of the meadow and I whispered those words to myself, "holy sh$t! An elk!" This was my first elk I'd ever called in and the only elk I had seen all day. As soon as I know he's coming, throw in a few assembly mews and that was it for my calling. He was on his way. Silent, mind you. Didn't bugle once. He passed behind a bush I ranged at 43 yds. He was coming to my left, then stopped to look them feed. I grabbed my range finder from my pocket, nice and slowly, got him at 28 yds. I drew back, had a moment where I almost didn't use my peep site. I've practiced for this moment, so I caught myself and corrected. Line up 30 on the lungs, release and instead of following through with my shot, I peaked, sending arrow to the left. Ended up hitting him in the left shoulder. Arrow stuck, and he dropped right there! True story. I remained calm and set the timer on my watch for 30 mins. I'm thinking it was a heart shot, like a hog I had shot where the arrow didn't go all the way through. It ran about 20 yds, then stopped. I'm waiting, and Twenty five minutes goes by. I can see his sides rising as he still breathed. I had to walk up to shoot him in the lungs. He died soon after. I honestly have a guilt feeling because he didn't die quickly. Lesson learned: follow through with your shot.Anyways, my first day of a planned two week hunt, ended on my first day with a beautiful 5x5 young bull. I wish I could have at least got ONE bugle out of him. Next year. I'm working on getting a picture of me holding the bull's rack. I was solo and set the camera up, then took the picture. I quartered him the next morning, yes I gutted him, when the sun was nice and low and bright. My step daughter is going to try to use photoshop to make the picture look clearer. For the time being, here he is. First meal from him well be going in my belly this evening....  Oh, and for the record....yes the hunt is easy. It's the work after the kill that let's you earn your elk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 15
Great job!  Here's a simple little tool for the solo pics for next year.[font=calibri,calibri]clipshot.com [/font]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back