Hook Release tips

mtnmutt

Mar 2, 2014
Rather than post this on Aaron\'s thread. This may help others who wish to switch from caliper to a hook release.

Hook Release wrist strap tips:
  • Adjust the buckle strap so there is very little give when pulling on it. If needed, punch another hole in the strap.[/*:m:31r3undx]
  • Adjust the nylon connector to the correct spot on the finger while pulling on it.[/*:m:31r3undx]
  • Adjust the trigger travel. IMO, less travel is better to avoid punching the trigger.[/*:m:31r3undx]
  • Choose the correct trigger spring. Avoid the light/low lbs pressure spring. Trim the spring to fine tune the lbs of pressure to trigger.[/*:m:31r3undx][/list:u:31r3undx]
    It takes a little trial and error to get it right. I wear the same merino wool gloves year round whether shooting indoors or outdoors which helps eliminate surprises with glove vs no glove.

If anything is too loose, the hook will fall off.

I wrap my finger around the straight trigger at the middle \"meat\" of my index finger, not at the joint. I do not use the tip of the index finger which is the most sensitive part of the finger. Using the index finger\'s tip caused me to punch the trigger, therefore, I gave up on it. Using the joint to wrap the finger around the trigger also caused me to occasionally punch the trigger.

The above tips will only require a little pull to keep the hook on the loop. After 3.5 yrs of using a hook release, it is ingrained in my subconscious to pull a little to keep the hook on the d loop.

Previously, I tried single and double caliper releases. I have never tried a back tension release. I pull through my shot with my wrist release. After the shot, my dead looking draw hand ends up back at my shoulder with the trigger finger static in the same hook/wrap as if the trigger was still there. If I am tired, I will occasionally punch the trigger.

It only took me 2 years to figure out what worked best for me. :crazy:

My current release is the Scott Rhino XT small strap NCS buckle using the straight trigger post, medium spring and very little trigger travel.

Some good tips, I have always used the caliber style release and don\'t see myself changing but if I do I now know of a couple threads that can help me out.

great tips!!

not so sure i agree with the first one. i wear my wrist strap on the tighter side, but i know alot of shooters that leave them loose. i think as long as it\'s on the same hole every single time, the feel is repeatable. i probably shouldnt comment because i still shoot a velcro type. (dumb, i know) but i can get it exact everytime. i max it to the strap buckle.

i love the back tension shot tip!!!. i do that with my dual action calipers..and i concentrate on having my release hand go back straight into a behind my head bicep curl (best i can describe it) every time.

\"elky McElkerson\" said:
great tips!!

not so sure i agree with the first one. i wear my wrist strap on the tighter side, but i know alot of shooters that leave them loose. i think as long as it\'s on the same hole every single time, the feel is repeatable. i probably shouldnt comment because i still shoot a velcro type. (dumb, i know) but i can get it exact everytime. i max it to the strap buckle.

i love the back tension shot tip!!!. i do that with my dual action calipers..and i concentrate on having my release hand go back straight into a behind my head bicep curl (best i can describe it) every time.
I must have worded the wrist strap tip wrong...I recommend getting it tight, but not cutting off circulation. Mine is tight.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back