How big?

nicktrehearne

Aug 17, 2015
Just curious what everyone's self imposed minimum score is before they will shoot a bull? Personally, it has to be P&Y or very close to it, for me to let an arrow fly.

Nick

Depends on what day of the hunt, my usual breakdown for a 10 day hunt in an any elk archery only unit looks like this
Days 1-4 6x6 + only
Days 5-7 any branch antlered bull
Days 7-10 adult elk Tag soup does little to feed my family of five!

I'm with wyoelk. Like the NFL we all have a chance at the super bowl (360+ bull)at preseason, but as the season progress and the realization of the superbowl slips away, we just hoping to end the season a .500 or 5x5!

If its brown its down. I only get about 5 days a year to chase them with my bow. So I will shoot anything. Feeding my family is more important at this point in my life. As time goes on and there isn't the pressure to kill for meat then I might start horn hunting more.

All depends on the Unit. LE here in Utah, I want to shoot around a 350 bull.

OTC here in Utah? Branch antlered bull is getting shot. Maybe even a spike depending on how empty the freezer is, which it is right now.

Early in the season I try to be a little more picky but it's hard to pass up good shots on a mature bull.  It's easy for me to get caught up in the action but I am slowly learning patience.

First bull that gets me excited! Most likely any mature 6 point, or large 5

The trophy is in the eye on the beholder.

First legal bull is getting my arrow. That said, if I lived in elk country and could hunt more I'm sure I would hold out longer.

agrees with jvanhoy....awesome photos nicktrehearne!

you must spend all of your free time in God's country!

I try and hold out for a branch antlered bull. But otc tags in Utah, you cant be to picky

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back