How do you carry...

Okieelk

May 13, 2018
In light of the recent post on a deadly cougar encounter, I would like to hear from you members  that carry a pistol on you during backcountry hunts.

Which holster, position, and means do you attached your firearm to your person?

It will be my first backcountry Hunt, and it will be solo. I have hiked and camped in the backcountry. Never solo...Any pictures and examples from you that choose to carry will be much appreciated.

I plan on taking either my Springfield XD40 or my Glock 19. I?m leaning towards the Glock 19 for weight.

Thanks!

When archery hunting, I carry a .40 cal in an Uncle Mike?s paddle holster that I clip to the waist strap of my pack. I don?t carry a handgun during rifle season as that?s just pointless extra weight in my opinion.

I agree with carrying a pistol and rifle. I?m interested exclusively for the OTC Archery Hunt I am doing in September. Thanks for the feedback, and interested to hear any other thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry a Charter Arms On Duty in .38 spec. Also in a Uncle Mike?s nylon holster on my hip belt. The guns super light and can take a beating. Be sure to check the regs. In Idaho we can carry but in some states you can?t.

Joe Riches said:
I carry a Charter Arms On Duty in .38 spec. Also in a Uncle Mike?s nylon holster on my hip belt. The guns super light and can take a beating. Be sure to check the regs. In Idaho we can carry but in some states you can?t.

Colorado you can. No worries. I use a hit holster from Uncle Mike as well. Two years ago I pulled it out on a Bear that was standing on its hind legs looking at my from 20 yards away. Lucky the bear had other plans and took off into a drainage..

I was using a standard leather thumb break holster attached to the belt of my EXO and it worked perfectly.  I just changed to Stone Glacier so I need to figure something out now since the belt straps are way different.

Grizz country - S&W 44 mag
Everywhere else - Springfield XD-S 45

Both with Buffalo Bore hardcast

I carry a Taurus 41 mag whenever I?m hiking around on Kodiak Island and hands down the best holster is the Gunfighters Inc. Kenai Chest Holster. Having it on my chest makes me quicker on the draw and it is really comfortable to wear. Quite often I forget I?m wearing it. I also wear a bino harness over it and I have no issues accessing my pistol at all. They may seem a bit spendy, but I will never go back to anything but the Kenai chest holster. Just about to purchase another holster for my 1911 to attach to it!

jalliston said:
I was using a standard leather thumb break holster attached to the belt of my EXO and it worked perfectly.  I just changed to Stone Glacier so I need to figure something out now since the belt straps are way different.

Grizz country - S&W 44 mag
Everywhere else - Springfield XD-S 45

Both with Buffalo Bore hardcast

Best of luck I?ve been looking for one that will fit an SG, but no luck yet. Let me know when you find a holster that will work, I?m still searching for one for my 629.

emiller35 said:

Best of luck I?ve been looking for one that will fit an SG, but no luck yet. Let me know when you find a holster that will work, I?m still searching for one for my 629.

Will do.  Mine is also a 629- heavy, but reassuring.  The Kenai chest holster may be the ticket for the big gun, and I'd just forgo using my AGC chest harness (I doubt I'll ever "need" to get my binos in a hurry, but i might need the pistol).  I think the AGC would be too thick to layer up. 

The wee Springfield I'd still want a belt holster.

in CA, not legal to carry a gun during archery.

i am not worried about it.  my friend arrowed an attacking cougar last year, (year before last?).  effen nuts!!  that is my only option.

in CA we have to be great archers :D

I prefer a tactical thigh holster myself.  I always wear a belt, but don't always have my pack on (I'll drop it when stalking in closer on game), so anything that attached to my pack wasn't ideal and the thigh holster has been issue free so far.  Oh...and love my Glock 20...10mm loaded hot will easily handle anything here in Colorado.

I carry a Glock subcompact .40 with solids in an Uncle Mike's cordura holster attached to the waist belt of my pack.  Glock is on side and bear spray on the other.  I hunt griz country in MT. 

I usually carry Glock 19 or 1911. I have BlackHawk paddle holsters I attach directly to the belt on my Exo.  Have also carried concealed using a crossbreed holster but that is more when I'm just backpacking and I know I'll encounter just hikers that might freak out if they see a dude with a gat.

I carry a sidearm when in Grizzly country and I'm a big fan of the Kenai Chest Holster.  I just adjust the straps so that it rides just below my bino harness and I couldn't be happier with it. 

If you really want it for protection from predators then it ALWAYS has to be somewhere you can get to it quickly.  IMO this carries the weight better than any hip holster (which can be a real PITA with a pack on).  If it's heavy, then you are likely to take it off.  If it's attached to your pack, then sooner or later you are not going to transfer it to your belt when you take that pack off.  If i am concerned about grizzly, then this stays on me all the time because it's comfortable and it's not in my way. Knocking around camp, while eating, when taking a cat nap in the field, while cooking, while glassing, while processing a kill...
19a908ba5fd9dd3a5bdc74333a98921b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Ruger Redhawk 44mag with 340g buffalo bore in a Simply Rugged Chesty Puller. Respect the bear but don't become lunch..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back