How do you describe hunting to non-hunters?

andyschaef

Jan 31, 2013
I think one of our most important jobs as hunters is to be good ambassadors of our sport to people who don't hunt.  Most of the people I interact with on a daily basis aren't hunters and have no idea what it's all about.  Too many people just know hunting by the stereotypes.

I've found that just being honest with people and describing the passion and love I have for the outdoors tends to be the best way to go.  When people see the time, energy and dedication that we put into hunting I think it begins to change their views (maybe only a little.)  I tryto focus on the experience of hunting, from preseason planning, fitness, applying for licenses to spending time in the woods with my dad.  Of course the killing is important but it certainly isn't the only reason that we hunt.

How do you describe hunting?

My Dad actually said it the best, it's a little crude but he said that his honeymoon is the only thing in life that comes close to calling in a bull elk.  Of course you can't tell that to everyone I usually go with it is the only thing that for adults still has a little magic like Christmas when you were a kid.

I make no apologies for hunting.  I am proud of what it takes to pursue wild game with a bow, and in many ways-hunting has made me a better person.  For example, being sedentary won't get you far as a hunter, so I credit my fitness to my desire to be in shape for hunting.  Perseverance is a necessary trait among hunters-and that attribute has helped me to reach many personal goals.  When I am confronted with a challenge, I think back to the challenges I've experienced in the woods and find the strength to carry on.  I try harder and go farther because I am a hunter.  I refrain from becoming belligerent. My goal is not to convince them to adopt my way of thinking.  I love the outdoors and have a deep respect for life.  I also recognize that man plays an important part in the balance of nature and it is incumbent upon us to assist in keeping the life cycle in check.  In the end, I just plain love hunting and will address all questions and concerns from that basic standpoint.  It's not for everybody~to each his own.

I usually describe hunting to non hunters the best way I know how - I take them with me! Its actually quite overwhelming the amount of non hunters, people who have never touched a gun or bow in their life, want to come hunting with me just to see what its all about. I'm proud to say that I've converted several non hunters into full blown addicts in my short life. There is absolutely nothing like seeing the look on a guys (or girls) face the first time you get a bull to scream in their face from 20 yards. Also, when its not elk season (aka now) I like to take them coyote calling - the reaction is much the same when you bring in a pack of dogs with hair standing on end.

If you can ever spare 1 or 2 days out of your season I'd encourage everyone to give it a try - worst thing that happens is you have a bad day (and I haven't had one yet!), best case scenario is you may gain a new lifelong hunting partner or 2 (which I have!).

I often tell a story or two of things I have seen or experienced while hunting that most people will never see. A beat standing 15 feet away growling at me with two cubs behind her, a squirrel  dancing on my leg because he thought I was a tree when he first jumped on me or another squirrel that sat there watching me for 20 minutes then worked his way around the back of me....then came charging in and jumped on one shoulder, ran across my back and jumped off the other shoulder...then ran off and screamed like...wahooooo...did you see that!!!!!

I also talk about how most of all the money that goes towards wildlife conservation comes from hunters and other sportsman. Most think it comes from their taxes but do not realize that most comes from people like us. I talk about the RMEF and what they have done for Elk across the United States.

I have had lots of people ask me about hunting, the more the find out the more curious they seem to get about it. Once they spend the time in the outdoors which is what it is really all about they understand and it's like switch turns on.

Msd said:
I usually describe hunting to non hunters the best way I know how - I take them with me! Its actually quite overwhelming the amount of non hunters, people who have never touched a gun or bow in their life, want to come hunting with me just to see what its all about. I'm proud to say that I've converted several non hunters into full blown addicts in my short life. There is absolutely nothing like seeing the look on a guys (or girls) face the first time you get a bull to scream in their face from 20 yards. Also, when its not elk season (aka now) I like to take them coyote calling - the reaction is much the same when you bring in a pack of dogs with hair standing on end.

If you can ever spare 1 or 2 days out of your season I'd encourage everyone to give it a try - worst thing that happens is you have a bad day (and I haven't had one yet!), best case scenario is you may gain a new lifelong hunting partner or 2 (which I have!).
my experience exactly.First I dont try to convince anyone,If they hate hunting I find 99 %of the time its lack of knowledge.I f they want to know more I take them out ,I usually give them the camera.and yes nothing gets them excited more than a bull screaming in their face.I even turned a couple vegetarians into hunters. ;D

When talking about hunting I will tell non hunters how much it gives me an appreciation and respect for the lives of the animals.  I don't take killing an animal lightly and am grateful for the meat that I get from hunting. 
When you have to work as hard as we do for our food it really means more to you.

I try to consider what matters to the person I am talking to. If they are conservationists or animal lovers, I talk about how much I enjoy doing my part to manage the lands and animals. I find lots of these people are not opposed to hunting, they just have a hard time with the killing. I have taken a couple into the woods withme, didn't convert either one to become a hunter, but on nice days they are happy to go hiking with me while I hunt.

If I am talking to a non-hunter that is just curious about hunting because they don't know anything I focus on all the cool stories. Fullabull nailed it - if you aren't hunting you will never have the joy of sitting in a spot for an hour eating a sandwich only to have a cougar stand up 10 feet away, look at you like "hey could you be quiet I am trying to sleep here" then walk away. Or have a bear cub stumble down a fallen tree just to sniff your sleeping hunting partner.

Or if I am talking over dinner, maybe I talk about the joy of eating backstrap with butter fried mushrooms and onions.....oh man that is the best.

I have never fully understood "WHY" I hunt. I had no external influence close to home, but I wanted to "hunt" as far back as I can remember. I do feel it is the "adventure" or "pursuit" that gives me what I want. I often see pictures or videos of animals being shot and it makes me feel a little sick, so it is not the killing that answers my "why". As the "adventure" continues so does the challenge. A back yard squirrel is a big challenge to begin with, but eventually it does not satisfy the adventure, the need to challenge yourself.
I believe everyone, hunter or non-hunter wants the challenge and seeks it out in some way. Mine is the hunt, the chase, the challenge,the adventure and the reward. You guys are exactly right, when you can share it with someone and they are able to "feel it", then they will be drawn to it also.

I try not to convince them that hunting is the best thing since sliced bread. Like a few others said. If you put them on the defense then they shut down and its hard to get them to see your side of the spectrum. Like others have said one of the best ways to get them to understand is by taking them with you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back