how do you prefer to hang your kill up, head or legs?

how do you hang your kill up?

• head

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • legs

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • other

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Garrett Weaver

Dec 28, 2012
I have done it both ways, each way works fine. But some people find it wierd to hang them by the head I dont' know why. I like hanging what I kill by the head or rack.

I would have to start this by asking a question. Are you deboning from the carcass or from the quarters. If it is just the quarters I would typically just lay them out on a cutting board. If I have a chance at the whole animal, lets say a deer, I would hang it from the hind legs. Only because I think it is easier to skin it that way and I would normally take more time on the hind quarters. The fronts I just separate from the carcass and debone from the cutting board. Just a shortened version of my method.....

I prefer to hang by the legs that is if i get the whole carcass out.  Most of the time i quarter my game so i just hang them by a meat hook.

I have only hunted elk for a while now and there is no way i have ever been able to do either as we have to quarter and carry them out every time. Would be nice to take one out whole once :)

As long as we can get the elk out whole we have always hung them buy there legs. Along with all the other critters we have ever skinned...... coyotes, bobcats, beavers, muskrats, badgers, foxes, deer, and antelope (bears we have always done on the ground).
scan0013-1.jpg

Always legs up for deer but have never been able to get an elk out whole. I always quarter it up.

I ususally do deer by the legs if I am hauling out the whole carcass.  If I'm in the backcountry I will hang it by the head with a rope or just do it on the ground

For deer I prefer to hang by the head so everything runs out the bottom which where all the nasty stuff was in the first place. Keep the rest of the inside clean that way :)

We quarter them in the field using the gutless method so all you have to deal with puting up in the tree are quarters.  Once you try it you won't do it any other way

Hind legs. Usually I skin down to the neck and then cut the head off. So if I hung it by the head the whole carcass would be on the ground in about 5 min haha.

By the leg and never had the opportunity to shoot one close enough to the road for anything other than packin them on your back ;D 

Attachments

• DSCN12441 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN12441 (640x480).jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 0

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back