HOW FAR off the road do you elk hunt?

Jacob

Jun 27, 2018
Curious......How far off the dirt road do you get for your elk hunting?  Do you pack your gear in on your back or do you use motorcycle or horse? 

I like to be at least a 1/2 mile off the road and typically a mile or more depending on the spot. I don't bring camp on my back, I camp off a road. I also don't utilize motorcycles or horses. Keep in mind that motorcycles need to stay on trails, you can't just ride them wherever you want to.

Obviously everywhere is different.

My answer is for LE NM units, but I've killed elk less than 300 yards off of a road and then as deep as 3 miles.

:upthumb:

I have had elk less than 100 yards from a road walk by my setup. The last one I packed out was 3.5 miles as a crow flies from the road. Elk are where you find them.

90% of all hunters hunt within one mile of the road. 90% of all animals taken are by 10% of all hunters. I hunt 1-1/2 to 5 miles off the road. Use the quad to get as far back as possible then use shoe leather for the day.

Depends on what you call a road. Some of the places around here you are always running into some old wood cutting road or fire road.

87TT said:
Depends on what you call a road. Some of the places around here you are always running into some old wood cutting road or fire road.

Open road that allows traffic.

I go as far off the road as the elk are located. It seems to work fairly well. I've found them from a few 100 yards from the road to 9 miles.

I live in Western Montana so I dont have to go far into the mountains to get into the elk, usually under 2 miles. I hike with my pack.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back