How Has The University of Elk Hunting Helped You?

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
We are looking for testimonials from folks who have taken the University of Elk Hunting course. What did you think of the course? Did it help you in punching your tag? Share your testimonial with us along with any success picture and we can give you a shout out on #TestimonialThursday on our social media pages!

The real answer to how UEH has helped me will be told by my success in the future!  I have hunter OTC tags in Utah and Idaho for years, but never successfully (and I should say half halfheartedly) for elk.  A couple years ago I found my self at 54 years old, 70 lbs over weight, spending all my time behind a computer and in horrible shape.  My boys decided that they wanted to do an extended hunting trip, and I knew there was no way I could make it so I joined a gym, and started exercising  during my lunch breaks.  That year I drew a Moose Tag in Idaho, and the pressure was on.  That Fall I was successful in harvesting my Moose, and that left me asking what's next.  A friend was solo hunting archery elk, so I thought I would tag along and help him out.  That was this past Sept.  That is when I learned about UEH I am still going through the modules, but Using the scouting techniques taught, and info from gohunt.com we have targeted areas to scout as soon as the snow is gone.  Elk Hunting, and UEH has inspired me to kick it up a notch and get serious about my health, and really exploring the area I live in North Idaho!

Great story 4slsteele! It's amazing how a little motivation to chase some elk around the woods can change people. Best of luck this coming year! Feel free to ask any questions around the forum here as well. There are a bunch of very successful elk hunters around here that are great about sharing their knowledge.

I have an UEH subscription this year. I haven?t started the modules yet. I?m 47 and easing back into fitness with hopes of drawing a tag for 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took it in 2016 and, while I didn't punch my tag, it was worth the money.  Scouting MT from PA using the computer worked great.  Every place I marked had fresh sign it just didn't pan out. 

My last bull was called in using the sequence from the course.  My hunt lasted 2 hours total.  Totally ruined elk season!  Thanks a lot Cory. 

Last year I stumbled across the course on our drive out west.

I started hunting elk when I was 12 and hunted every year until I was 18 with little to no success, one small cow by pure fluke chance. Then college managed to get in the way. Then adulting got in the way. Then one day at age 30 out of the blue 3 years ago my dad said ?hey remember that time in Colorado? and right then and there we dropped everything and started planning our trip.

Being from MN we just figured we need to hunt them like whitetails so we just picked a ridge line and walked up it around it. Paying no attention to anything but getting to the top and not dying (both of us overweight and undertrained). Needless to say we had little success other than jumping a few elk and shooting a couple nice mule deer.

After we got home this last fall we both decided it was time to change it up and maybe try something different. We both took the course and now this is all we talk about. Knowing that just about everything we were doing was wrong it?s time to change everything we were doing.

The area we are hunting is the same but we know the elk are there we were just hunting them wrong. We now have 1000x the confidence we had before, both of us are in major training for this fall so we can not only get to the top but be able to do it multiple times a day without the feeling of sure bodily failure, and have already started strategizing how we will hunt following Corey?s setups and tactics.

This course will definitely be the reason we put at least one elk on the ground this year and it will all be tribute to all the hard work out into creating this AWESOME course.

Sorry for the long winded speech, figured I would give a thorough explanation as to why this program is worth its weight in gold!

Final exam will be this fall and we hope to pass with flying colors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review Big Show! Hopefully the knowledge gained helps you punch one or two of your tags this year  :upthumb:

save the podcasts and listen to them with the guys on the way to the field, gets your mind ready and the group mindset engaged.

TheBigShow said:
Hey that?s me! Now with our tags in hand there is a whole new motivation to train hard and keep studying. I used to be a compulsive musky fisherman but elk have taken over my whole brain (and the girlfriend is getting sick of it
emoji23.png
)

Hahaha, welcome to the club!  :lol:

Just completed my first run thru the course. Starting 2nd pass. Great course. Loved it. So much real world info based on experience, not just theory.  Increased my confidence. Instead of wandering aimlessly, I now feel I can make a good plan to increase my odds.
Love the 2 man setup....thats going in the playbook right away.
Got me committed to training harder.
And I'm quite pleased with my progress practicing calls...more progress with cow calls than bull bugles so far, but practicing every day (driving the wife nuts!). Contender is working best for me.

I've elk hunted every year since '78. Started with rifle then muzzle loader then into archery in '15. Took 6 or 8 cows but never a Bull. I've had a lot of encounters, one really disappointing blood trail but just couldn't get it done.
I would tell my hunting companions that they would be smart to do the exact opposite of whatever my hunting plan was because, "I'm the world's worst elk hunter."
Took the Elk101 course last spring and now, after 40+ years, I have a 6x6 Bull on the wall.
Did Elk101 make it easy? Nope, at 57 it was by far the single most physically exhausting day of my life. But I was prepared physically and mentally.
After spotting the Bull I started my solo accent in 8" of snow at 8200", 1/3 mi later I was at 9200". That's about 1.5' vertically for every 1' forward.
After another 1/2 mile hike I stood behind a dead tree in the wind for 2 hours waiting for him to get up and feed again. 400 yd shot put him down but he slid 300 yds down into a bowl.
That's when the work began.

If your unsucessful and discourged with your unfilled Elk tags take the course.
Most importantly be physically prepared to work harder than you ever imagined. Late season Elk hunting will hurt you.

Cory, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to put together the 101 course. You showed me exactly what I had been doing wrong all these years. So many weeks wasted meandering through the woods hoping to find a Bull.
Thank You!

Pics
Smooth area in the snow behind my head is where he was sliding down. The tree finally  stopped him.

Attachments

• IMG_3553_01.jpg
    IMG_3553_01.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3554.jpg
    IMG_3554.jpg
    589 KB · Views: 11

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back