How many arrows to bring..

coloelko

Jul 19, 2013
I'm going on a 5 day back pack elk hunt this year and don't know how many arrows to bring up with me.
I'll only be about 2 miles from my truck. I think I'd be ok with the 5 in my quiver. If I need more I can run down to my truck and get more. What are your thoughts?

I only take 5 and I'm 4-6 miles from the truck.  I figure if I'm down 5 arrows in less than 5 days and have nothing to show for it....then I probably could use a long walk back to the truck to clear my head.  :(

My quiver holds 4 arrows so that's all I bring.  I usually fix 3 with broad heads and the 4th with a field point for stump shooting.  Make your first shot count and there's no reason to need many more than that.  JMO

I would only take what my quiver hold, 5 arrows, I may pack a couple extra broadheads in my pack,. I have found if I miss, the broadhead usually takes the brunt of the impact and damage.
good luck

I plan on having 3 with broadheads (only what my quiver holds) with me at all times. Two stowed at camp with 2 extra target heads for grouse or the chance I may lose some. Happened to me last year. I dont like having my quiver attached to my bow so while hiking in the morning through dense cover, my quiver was in my pack, arrow clipped a branch and somehow fell out. Got to my spot and now only had two arrows. Weird things can happen when you get a little lazy or careless. Nice to have a couple extra for those just in case times.

I would take 3 broad heads and your remaining spots fill with feild tips. It might seem excessive but you can always take your quiver off when you get set up on a bull or get to your tree stand how ever it is you partake in your passion. I like the feild tips for grouse.

I've never used more than 2 but for some reason I feel better with 7 in my quiver.  a lot of times I'm packing a deer and elk tag though.

I pack 6 in my quiver broad heads on all, but im a firm believer that if one arrow in an elk is good than 2 is better I dont like the idea of loosing a wounded elk or deer when I could put a second arrow in it, and I also have taken my elk and deer and grouse on the same day,and some people will add coyote, bear and turkey and wolf  to the tags in their pocket . that can add up to a lot of shooting on a 5 day hunt.

I bring five - and leave the arrow box in the truck. I used to take four, but then one day I used three arrows. I tell ya it is an odd feeling to walk through the woods with only one arrow in your quiver. But if you are putting something down you are headed to the truck anyway....and its only two miles.

Right on guys, thanks for all the input. Think I'll just load up the quiver and leave the rest in the truck.
Good luck to you all!  Getting close ;D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back