How many bullets?

ronco

Apr 17, 2014
For the gun hunters. How many bullets do you take? I reload, I\'ll have a box with 50 in camp and a slip top box in my pack with 20, 4 in the gun and 4 in my pocket. I have fallen on my gun/scope and had to resight my rifle in. Rather have too many than not enough.

I use a muzzleloader. I load the gun, and then carry 4 speedloaders. I haven\'t had to use any speedloaders yet, but you never know. One .50 cal hole seems to get the job done.

I was just talking about the hunt. I don\'t camp, but I have more ammo back in the Jeep.

I\'ll typically carry a total of 10 on me, with a minimum of 20 total brought to camp. Typically, like Ronco, I\'ll bring a box of 50 to camp.

\"Still Hunter\" said:
I use a muzzleloader. I load the gun, and then carry 4 speedloaders. I haven\'t had to use any speedloaders yet, but you never know. One .50 cal hole seems to get the job done.

Pete, I do the same when muzzy hunting. One year I was helping my dad split some firewood and stopped by a farm on the way home. It was the last evening of deer season. I grabbed my hawken 50 and off hunting I was. I wasn\'t wearing any camo and of course used the wind as I still hunted around a 40 acre patch of timber. I saw the doe standing near a creek at 50yds. Booom! When the smoke cleared I saw her lying in the snow. It was then that I realized I forgot my knife and extra bullets. She slid easily in the snow as I drug her back to the truck. :D It only takes one.

If I hike into a spike camp and plan on being there a few days, I will take an extra box of 20. Other wise its 4 in my rifle and 5 more.

\"bowhunter\" said:
\"Still Hunter\" said:

Pete, I do the same when muzzy hunting. One year I was helping my dad split some firewood and stopped by a farm on the way home. It was the last evening of deer season. I grabbed my hawken 50 and off hunting I was. I wasn\'t wearing any camo and of course used the wind as I still hunted around a 40 acre patch of timber. I saw the doe standing near a creek at 50yds. Booom! When the smoke cleared I saw her lying in the snow. It was then that I realized I forgot my knife and extra bullets. She slid easily in the snow as I drug her back to the truck. :D It only takes one.

Pretty cool. It\'s always nice to see the animal laying there when the smoke clears. :clap:

I think of it this way....if i get lost how many rounds do i want on me.....elk hunting the mountains i take a full box in my pack, four in the gun and two to four in my pocket. If i am deer hunting in my back yard i take ten.

\"getemduck\" said:
I think of it this way....if i get lost how many rounds do i want on me.....elk hunting the mountains i take a full box in my pack, four in the gun and two to four in my pocket. If i am deer hunting in my back yard i take ten.

This confuses me. How are bullets going to help you if you get lost?

Three shot groups as a signal go through rounds quickly.......if you carry 10 rounds you only have three signal sets.

\"getemduck\" said:
Three shot groups as a signal go through rounds quickly.......if you carry 10 rounds you only have three signal sets.

Also three signal fires, three blasts on a whistle or air horn.

\"Still Hunter\" said:
Compass and map saves ammo. ;) :D

Unless you are hurt and can\'t get out on your own. My wife and I many years ago , we were hunting in Montana we split up, she sprained her ankle. She fired the three shots and I hot footed it over to her thinking she shot some game and got her out to the doctor.

I\'m sure you all have heard the joke about the new hunter that was going hunting for the first time. He asks a hunter with a lot of experience what is the most important thing to remember while hunting. He told the new hunter if you get lost fire three shots in the air for a help signal. They found the new hunter three days later completely out of arrows :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back