How many hunters have you called in?

WardDawg7

Jan 27, 2013
Couple years back we were set up low.  Started calling,  no real bulls answered and one I'm guessing new guy couldn't help himself.  He bugled every couple minutes and started heading straight for us,  never checking his wind I'm pretty sure because the thermals were blowing straight to us.  He must have covered at least a 2 mile ridge in 10 min before my partner moved 10 yards away from him.  Judging from what my partner said he was upset and embarrassed.  Had a few other encounters as well but now we usually just break contact and go somewhere else.  Gotta love fluttie human bugles.

Called in my uncle once. We had split up earlier in the am, I bugled and he answered me. I could tell by his bugle that it was my uncle. We bugled back and forth a few times. I then called him on the radio and he told me he was working a hot bull.
I told him it was me and he did not believe me. I bugled a couple times with my radio keyed up. We got some good laughs that night at elk camp :) :)

I have called in a couple people. It's quite funny when they show up in your set up and they find out its just another person.  I did have one guy coming to my calls and I could see him up at the top of the steep ridge. As he was working his way to the bottom to come up the other side I saw the guy fall and roll down the hill about 50 ft before coming to a stop.  He laid there for a couple minutes and I thought he was seriously hurt. So I headed over to him and asked if he was ok.  The guy said he was fine and that after he came to a stop he noticed me on the other side of the hill watching him.  He said he was too embarrassed to move after the show he just put on. I couldn't help but laugh and helped him up to the top of the ridge so he could go on his way.

The very first elk I ever called in was the two legged variety.  He hiked probably a half mile up a steep slope putting the stalk on me.  I heard him coming but thought it may be an animal.  When he poked into the open he was only 10 yds away with arrow nocked.  I got his attn so I wouldn't get shot at.  He was pretty pissed and barreled down the hillside busting out every critter within a mile radius.  Funny thing is I was a complete greenhorn back then and a lousy caller.  Could barely make a sick cow sound with my diaphragm.  The fact that he put the stalk on that quality of calling tells me I wasn't the only newbie on the mtn that day.  Now when I hear a flutie hunter I just clam up and move away.  If they are close enough I may give them a turkey cluck as a heads up so they don't keep following, but usually that's not an issue cuz I leave the area very quietly.  I wonder how many bulls have used that strategy with me over the years? :p

called in a guy last season that thought I was a real bull all they way until I stood up when he was 30 yards out. Was cool watching him shake and get excited. His bugles were terrible and he blew a bull out that I had been hunting for three years when it was within 100 yds. He asked me if I wanted to hunt with him the next weekend, I respectfully declined.

3 guys that I can remember, including one last year which really took me by surprise as never see anyone else where we go, he never knew I was there.  Nothing memorable like some of the funny stories above. I also use the turkey clucks to give people the heads up about my presence if I have to. Otherwise, I'll slip away undetected and move out of the area.

Last year we were trying out a new spot and we called in 4 hunters in a 30 min span l. Not sure if I'll go back there this year.

My buddies and I had  split up to move across this ridge. Before heading over a small knob i heard a cow below me. well, as i suspected it was on of our guys, but it took a bit of back and for before he gave it up.  anyhow, we laughed about it a bit and then we went on our own way again....... only to bust 3 elk (at least one of em a small bull) that had come in quiet, just as i crested that knob!

Another lesson learned!

I called in a few last year, including one nature photographer who caught my set up on two immature bulls (4 pt and a spike) on film from the cliffs above me.  I had no idea he was there.  We exchanged e-mails so i could get the pics but they never came.  bummer!  Had the 4 pt wind me at about 20 yards with a tree in between so no shot was offered.  Close call

One guy I called in at dusk got to within a couple of steps before I said "Boo".  We had a great laugh together after he crawled out of the bush he fell into.
    Related but with deer.  I was set up on the edge of our hay field waiting for the deer to come out of the neighbors corn and cross the farm road into our hay piece.  I was set up in some bushes at the roads edge where the weeds were about waist high.  A group of does had just crossed the road and were feeding in front of me and I was anticipating the bucks to step out at any minute.
    Along comes this road hunter at dusk driving the fields.  He doesn't notice the does until he is almost on top of me but when he does he turns his truck hard into the field as if to drive right into the hay.  A cloud of dust envelopes me as I standup with the grill of his truck is 3 yards from my position.  Of course the deer are now bounding off and I am waving my arms to get this guys attention but he is so fixed on the deer that he doesn't see me.  In his rush to see the deer as they run he grabs his binoculars from the dash and puts the strap around his neck and opens his door and gets out.  I am now moving in front of his binoculars still waving my hands.  He is moving his binoculars left and right in a desperate attempt to find those illusive deer that for some reason keep moving behind a big blob that is in the way.  Finally I slam my hand on the hood of the truck.
    The binoculars fall from his hands as he reels back from sheer terror with a ghastly scream piercing the otherwise silence.  The binoculars wedge in tightly as they land between the cab and the open door.  This fear struck figure tumbles backward and is now fighting to free himself from the strap around his neck in an effort to escape the boogy man that is now bearing down on him.  The binoculars finally slip free and hurl themselves into the ditch on the opposite side of the road as he crashes into the dusty road.
    My anger now turns to laughter as this creature resembling gollum in the dust returns to its senses.  It turns out to be an 18 yr old kid.  After he calmed down I tried to set him strait about his activity but I might as well have been talking to the wind.  I saw him out driving the road again for the next couple of weeks and ended up having to hunt elsewhere.  Stupidity knows no bounds.

Last fall was my first year hunting here in Colorado, being from AZ, not used to the OTC tags. Thought I was in some cows, deep in a canyon, knocked an arrow called a few times got answers back, thought cool this is gonna happen.. Well it did and I met a real nice guy from Maryland, named dick.. We were hunting each other..after that I threw my sucker in the dirt in that unit and moved to another that was less pressured!! Makes you feel like a dumba$$ when that happens, but that's hunting. Good luck everyone this fall

Too many too count through the years and once they get close I have a little fun and lead them on a goose chase......the most memorable was back in the 80's, yes I am old. Took a nice 6 pt on one of those great days with bulls going bonkers. My brother and I were butchering him and we heard a hunter bugle a long way off. My brother then proceeded to call this hunter in and his buddy had a camcorder filming the entire thing. We finally called it off as we watched them with binos closing in to about 40yds. Funnier thing was they took a few photos of my bull. The next week I am in getting my pics at tidy mans and the photo girl says your the guy from the video and you shot my boyfriends bull......I said better guess again and have your boyfriend tell the real story......

Last year I got a tip from a coworker on a meadow that "always produces" for him. Early in the morning i hiked all the way back into that meadow, on my way i heard 2 cow calls i was feeling good about how the morning would unfold, as i closed the gap onto the meadow the wind switched on me I thought i had blown it with the elk that had been calling earlier. well they kept on calling and i soon heard the pattern that repeated every time, it was definately a hunter. Then not too long after that on the other side of me I hear the distinct sound of a hootchie mama, it was a little frustrating but mostly funny to realize that i was the only one that new that there was way too many of us working that meadow. I moved on and hunted off the ridge but Im pretty sure we had run off every elk in the area. That day I learned the value of hunting at least 2 hrs away from Denver.

Unfortunatly too many.
Last year on the last evening of my hunt, I had called a herd bull and his cows up out of a canyon. Just estrous cow calls. Perfect wind up in my face. Some of the cows where 40 yrds away.I took almost  an hour to get the 5x6 bull to come out of the bottom and see what was up. Just as he started to clear the edge of the cows and give me a clear shot,they all whirled and dove back into the canyon. I hear this guy walking down the OPEN draw above me looking around for the elk. I'm pissed but don't move. He pulls out his bugle and lets out a real bad one,then procceeds to do the Hoochie Momma bed spring repitition......I stand up when he's 20 yrds to my right and call him an Ahole and start hiking away.
He fell over from fright and slides down the slope...the ahole.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back