How much do you call

Fullabull

Jan 2, 2013
I always find it interesting to talk to people while hunting, so many say the elk are just not talking. I ask if they are doing any calling and they say no, or we though out a bugle every once in a while. For us, I call all the time and use different sounds and some times get a little crazy with my calling if it is quiet and it never fails, we always get elk to talk back to us. It may take a while some times but we never give up. It really pays for us to do this because we hunt very pressured areas since my dad can't walk much more then a mile in.

I'm like you, we do a lot of calling and I'd say 90% of the time the elk we hear are silent until we call to them.  I've ran into a lot of guys that don't do much calling, say they don't hear any elk talking so they don't call to them.  A few years ago I called in a bull that my buddy shot and as we were quartering it up a couple guys came in and said they heard the bulls going crazy but they had left all their calls back at camp because they though it was too early in the season to be calling in bulls.  It was Sept 8th!!!

I probably over do it at times with my calling but hey, it has worked well for me so far so I'm not going to tone it down.

I don't call a ton that's for sure, honestly I may call too little, but quite frankly I prefer it that way for the most part. I'm sort of in the if they don't hear smell or see you they don't know your there camp.
For all I know it costs me an elk or two, but in the end I think it all evens out.

I stated this in another post but I think it's important to start calling as soon as you enter the woods. People walk for miles sometimes without ever making any elk sounds. They would be surprised to found out how many elk they probably pass right on by that if they were making elk sounds while walking to their normal hunting spots they could have opportunity they didn't even thing as there.

I only learned this because with my dad we can't go very far in so I started calling right from where we start walking in and I could't believe how many elk we have found doing this.

Fullabull said:
I stated this in another post but I think it's important to start calling as soon as you enter the woods. People walk for miles sometimes without ever making any elk sounds. They would be surprised to found out how many elk they probably pass right on by that if they were making elk sounds while walking to their normal hunting spots they could have opportunity they didn't even thing as there.

I only learned this because with my dad we can't go very far in so I started calling right from where we start walking in and I could't believe how many elk we have found doing this.

i do the exact same. last year from opening day on august 30th till the last day on september 30th i had elk talking to me every day i was out. we aso saw elk on every hike we made last season with the exception of one evening hike in to a new area. there was wolf scat every where in there.

I used to hardly ever call but last year I changed it up and ended up calling in three different bulls.  I guess if youre in an area where you can glass and get in close before calling that is best but a lot of places you have to throw it out and hope for a response.

Chad, it really opens your eyes when you figure out that you can be noisy and call as much as you want and find elk where you d. id not expect it. I find even getting a little crazy with calling when conditions are tough can get and elk to respond who will not to other normal elk sounds.

I guess what i try to do is be as adaptable as possible with my calling but from the moment we get a couple hundred yard from the truck or camp i start cow chirping i would say about every 10 minutes i let out a few soft chirps. it will flat out blow you away how many elk you walk by.

Fullabull said:
Chad, it really opens your eyes when you figure out that you can be noisy and call as much as you want and find elk where you d. id not expect it. I find even getting a little crazy with calling when conditions are tough can get and elk to respond who will not to other normal elk sounds.
Yes, this year I'm planning on doing even more.

We call a lot and call a lot of elk in. This year was different though. Elk stopped talking instantly one day. Couldn't figure it out for a few days, until one morning I bugled and a few wolves answered me. That was very discouraging.

I like to call a fair bit, and when things are absolutely dead but I know for a fact that the elk are in the area, I like to get full blown crazy. I'll make the most painful, frantic sounding distressed cow calls, I'll lip bawl and challenge bugle  in opposite directions as hard as I can, and I'll find a baseball bat size stick and go to town on the trees around me. I just do my best to sound like a satellite is hooking an unwilling cow and the herd bull busted him in the act. I can't count how many times doing this has got me an answer, even into the second week of October. It doesn't necessarily always bring them running in, but it seems to spark them up to the point they will talk, and so long as they are talking, then I can get in on them.

I don't call much. Locating bugle here and there, then hike some more. If I can see them first or they respond, then I move in REAL close and try and close the deal.

I call more than most and from my experience the calls do you no good if the in your pocket. As noted, if I can get a response, then I know where a bull is and that is half the battle. If your calling is proficient, then go for it. Unfortunately, if wolves are in the area your calling will fall on deaf ears and from what I have seen it is best to move to another area until the wolves have moved on. 

Call as much as you feel the need to.  It also depends on what kind of set up you have going on.  Elk don't live 5 miles from the road most of the time they are closer than you think.

I think alot depends on the time of season it is too.  Early in the season I can call and not get a response, but have had bulls come in silent just to check things out.  Same with late Rut (October-ish) time.  Some areas I hunt you have to be real subtle in your calling while others I have to be aggressive to get them agitated more to respond and come in.

I call alot according to the guys that hunt with me. My response to them is I call alot of elk in for them. This seems to settle them down. LOL. Aggresive and lots of preasure works for me. When everyone else are complaining the elk aren't talking we are workin talkin bulls for the most part.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back