How often?

Stealth1id

Jan 9, 2013
How much time do you give an area between hunts? In the unit that I hunt I try to give an area atleast 3 days between hunts. Seems that the bulls are more receptive to my calling if we let the area set for a few days even if someone else gets into it in the mean time.

I'll go back every day as long as I know the elk are there. If I've pressured them really hard or blown them out of their beds by mistake then I'll give it a few days or a weeks break, but otherwise its game on.

Quite simply I go where the elk are. If they are in the same area for a week straight that's where I'm going!

Its pretty crowded where we hunt so it we find elk in an area we will hunt it until either we get one, or they leave. If my dad could get around better we would have more places to hunt so we have to stick with it.

If the elk are there, That's where I am. Usually on a OTC tag and hard to find areas that haven't been hit hard.

I'll rotate areas if I've been on them for a couple of days. All my other areas however are only 6-12 miles from each other so it's easy to switch back and forth between herds.

I agree with the majority of posts out there.  Unless something specific has occurred to spook the game, there's really no need to hold off the hunt.  I'll keep the pursuit on as long as the elk are present and not hyper sensitive to calling or stalking.  If The elk have been bumped I might get out of that specific hole for a whole week or better.  Luckily the area I hunt has several good holes within about a 20 mile radius so i just have to go a short ways and try the next spot

I will go everyday if I could when the elk is good, but as long as I am having a good hunt I will keep going back.

I go to the same area as long as I know there are elk in the area. My theory is that just because you bump some elk doesn't mean there aren't more on mountain.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back