how old is this Bluegill?

mainebrdr

Aug 17, 2017

Took the .22 down to the pond to possibly eliminate some beavers that are trying to get rid of trees I would like to keep so I took a small spinning rod with me as well. Thought I had a bass on for a while except he never broke water.

Didn\'t weigh it. I don\'t have a scale that would weigh it accurately. I did look up the Ks. state record and it is a 2lb.-5oz.-11\" long bluegill. this one measured exactly 11 inches long, so it was probably in the ballpark. I didn\'t know older ones were marked like that. A few years ago I caught a white crappie out of the pond that weighed a little over 4lbs. if the scale I used was accurate (not mine). That possibly would have been a state record. Just more fun to throw em back and let em grow! :angle:

\"mainebrdr\" said:
Just more fun to throw em back and let em grow! :angle:

I guess I\'m just a lot hungrier than you are because I would have had other plans :D Great catch!

Hard to say, sounds like it came from a private pond. About 90% of a fish\'s size is dependent on environment, 10% on age. it could be anywhere from 4 or 5 to 10+ years. That being said, with the smaller species of fish like panfish, if you remove a size class, others will grow in to fill that slot. However, not all bodies of water can grow 10\" gills. The max size might be only 5\". Also, a body of water has a defined biomass that it can support, so if a pond can support 100 lbs of fish, it can support 100 one pound gills, or 1,600 one ounce gills, or a combination thereof. And that biomass number is really stable for established bodies of water, even trout in streams.

So in application, if you have high numbers and small size, the management objective may be to harvest, harvest, and harvest some more.

If you have low numbers of big fish, take a look at the other species and make sure they are what you want as far as numbers and size. Sometimes a selective harvest of big fish is in order to bring the populations into a more even size distribution.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back