How to Hunt a Bench?

mtnmutt

Mar 2, 2014
I have a Bench that holds elk for all of September. It rarely has hunters because access is hell.

80% of the approaches to the bench are extremely steep with talus (rock field) crossings. The only easy slope access is a very long trek, but still has some talus to cross. The fastest access is the extreme slope and crossing talus.

The Bench is medium to dense pine forest. There are only a few very small meadows, so elk feed elsewhere. It has springs, but the elk prefer to go down to the creek below for midday water.

In the past, I mostly setup on well used game trails leading to the top, but before the talus. This may be my opening morning ambush spot without any calling.

A couple of times, I have crossed the talus and setup on top to call. An elk always comes to my calling up there, but setups were poor and I got busted. This season, I may try a cold calling setup with the talus on my downwind side.

The wind up there has always been a concern. No bench is completely flat. It has mini \"hills\" and \"valleys\". Even flat spots can be weird for wind.

Now that my legs are in good shape, I may hunt this bench more often.

How do you hunt a Bench?

I\'ll be watching the answers to your question intently. The new unit I\'m hunting has a spot just as you described. I have stared holes in my topos, flown over it on Google Earth a hundred times and looked at every possible way to get to it. The only reasonable path is very long. My partner and I have already decided if we get one there we will tie its legs together and ride it like a sled to the creek 2000\' below, LOL.

Brad, the one I\'m planning on hunting is approx 1/2 mile square. If you add in the steep timbered slopes leading up to it, approx 1 mi square.

Since we\'re on the same team (yay for me!) I\'ll pm the location if you have time to look at it and verify that I\'m nuts.

Thanks, Darren

Brad, the bench is...
Width: 0.5 mile (SW end) to 1.75 miles (NE end)
Length: 2 miles.

It has Springs, however, a frequent bivy hunter of the bench says the elk prefer to go down to the creek for a midday drink.

After muzzleloader starts, the elk are mostly found on the NE end which takes more time to get to. It is my new honey hole for late September.

I bought a navigator map from Mike (StartMyHunt.com). It has it listed as prime elk security habitat and he is spot on for this location.

There is an occasional bivy hunter up there and sometimes a local day hunter. Not enough hunting pressure to drive them away.

An approximate two square mile bench is huge. I normally think of benches as less than two acres. Normally when we talk about benches it is a reference to a niche where the elk go to bed. It will be located on a side hill and preferably well up on the side. Elk go to that spot for security, cooler temperatures, considering shade and air flow, and for easy escape. Mutt, your bench blows away every concept I have on what a bench is, even though you are technically correct. My thought would be to hunt it as you would any other quality elk area. Best wishes, and enjoy your hunt.

I agree with Swede.
These are not what I would refer to a \'bench\'.
These are BIG FLAT areas! :)
And I would hunt them accordingly, typical elk hunting, not how I would hunt a small <2 acre bench

I agree it is extremely large compared to other benches where elk bed. I don\'t have any other large flat high elevation spots in my area which makes it very unique.

I also have those smaller benches where they bed which I plan to setup beyond them near their game trails. I can catch them going to and from those spots since I don\'t do still hunt in bedding areas.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back