How to properly tie your hunting boots

americanbwana

Sep 3, 2017
Sounds silly, but learning how to tie your hunting boots properly can make a huge difference in your ability to walk long distances without blisters or heal slipping.

I\'d save up my money, go buy the best boots I could afford, but could never find some that were just right. I\'d tie them supper tight to keep the heal locked down, or for overall security. As a result my feet would hurt after a short while.

Anyway, I decided I was probably doing something wrong. After a quick internet search I found this video, showing me an alternate way to tie my boots.

I\'ve been using this technique for over a year, and can honestly say I do not recall a single incident where my heal slipped, or my foot slid forward to hit the front of the boot.

Your mileage may vary.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOE28brAcEc[/youtube]

Good video Dana. But for a minute there when I first started reading you post, I thought you was having a kindergarden moment! :haha:

I\'m so glad I watched this video.

Last week, I went camping and on the first day my wife said her toes were jamming the front of her boots. I remembered this method and she said it worked great.

That\'s when I noticed that MY toes were doing the same thing on downhills ...

We agreed that this method made a HUGE difference in toe comfort.

\"Deertick\" said:
I\'m so glad I watched this video.

Last week, I went camping and on the first day my wife said her toes were jamming the front of her boots. I remembered this method and she said it worked great.

That\'s when I noticed that MY toes were doing the same thing on downhills ...

We agreed that this method made a HUGE difference in toe comfort.

Argh...I have to remember to bookmark this thread! Wish I had learned this technique this past weekend hiking in the Redwoods!

Arky buddy. Please be careful. I don\'t know what you are wearing, but slip on boots sound scary for hunting elk country. I too have slip on boots and shoes. They are ok around camp, but lack the support I feel necessary for hiking around elk hunting. Just the thought of slip on boots in the elk woods makes me cringe. Elk hunters need boots with good all around support, solid fit and nonslip soles. Please rethink those slip on boots. Consider this, you will never see a logger other than an equipment operator, or fire fighter, out west wearing slip on boots. Dangerous!

\"Swede\" said:
Arky buddy. Please be careful. I don\'t know what you are wearing, but slip on boots sound scary for hunting elk country. I too have slip on boots and shoes. They are ok around camp, but lack the support I feel necessary for hiking around elk hunting. Just the thought of slip on boots in the elk woods makes me cringe. Elk hunters need boots with good all around support, solid fit and nonslip soles. Please rethink those slip on boots. Consider this, you will never see a logger other than an equipment operator, or fire fighter, out west wearing slip on boots. Dangerous!

I believe Arky has retired from elk hunting. Old age has slipped up on him and taken that away from him. He now hunts ducks and more lowland animals with minimal walking. The boots he wears now serve their purpose for him.

\"bowhunter\" said:
\"Swede\" said:

I believe Arky has retired from elk hunting. Old age has slipped up on him and taken that away from him. He now hunts ducks and more lowland animals with minimal walking. The boots he wears now serve their purpose for him.

Yep that is true...

\"Ol\' Arky\" said:
Thanks for the correction. I hope to have more years for lace up boots and long days hunting. I would wish Arky some more elk hunts too. I am glad he is not hiking around in slip-ons.

Naw... When I elk hunter I normally wore Cableas 16\" lace up snake boots... They served as elk and turkey huntin\' boots...

I do this. It helps. If anything it tied up all the extra lace so I don\'t drag it around.

And I know a pack station owner that does everything in his Ariat cowboy boots. Hiking in the sierras. He must have great feet.

wow. I\'ll be trying that first technique tomorrow! my left heel slips on my primary hunting boots, which gives me a nice blister every year. :lolno:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back