How useful is the clamp with heads up decoy?

Alder

Jan 2, 2013
Getting a heads up decoy and am wondering how useful people have found the clamp (not the bow mount - just the regular clamp). Do you find yourself using a clamp a lot, or not much at all?

Took my heads up decoy out the first year and wished I had a clamp every time I set it up.  So I just made my own the next year out of a basic spring clamp from the hardware store.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I solo hunt so much I would think that the clamp is pretty much a requirement it you are trying the pull the bull in or get him to stop.

Hey anyone using the decoy for cow hunts? My dad and I have a late season cow tag and I was thinking it might be useful for cows as well.

If its late season rifle just follow the snow line and you'll find elk. Because your not archery hunting and trying to call elk into 10 yards of yourself and can actually shoot like 300 yards the point if a decoy kinda goes out the window because if see a elk at 100 yards coming to you your just gonna wait for a nice broadside shot your not gonna set up the decoy and try and call her in. But if you are hunting a great spot it might be fun just to bring along to see what happens. Maybe you could put it in the middle if a medow one evening and sit up in the hill.

Ordered it and got it in today. Pretty nice. My late season will be for cows on the Oregon coast with archery gear. In the past we have had decent hunts by finding bedded elk then setting up on exit trails. I would love to learn some new techniques if anyone has any.

I think it depends if ur hunting alone or not.  I hunt with a partner and we have yet to use the clamp.  The caller just holds it.  It's nice to be able to adjust it based on where the bull comes in from.  Last year we were able to change a bull's approach path from head on to broadside by moving the decoy from one side of a tree to pointing out the other side.  I flipped the decoy just as the bull passed behind some trees.  He was only 80 yds away but saw the new orientation and turned broadside right in front of my partner as if he were trying to intercept the cow.  Not sure if that's actually what he was doing, but it appeared that way and died soon after :D

Good point I will have a number of two person and solo hunts this year, assuming I don't tag out first thing Saturday!  Will have to see what works best.

The clamp that comes with the decoy seems to be very heavy so I think I'll try to find a lighter alternative.  Has anyone tried anything else?

The clamp is basically a jumper cable clamp.  I've thought about getting a clamp off of small cheapie set of cables but I haven't bothered.  If I just lost an extra pound from diet and exercise that would probably be easier than making a new clamp. ;)

I just used the clamp on my heads up the other day and it worked great.  Have to find a sturdy enough limb to place it on or it just sags and the decoy turns upside down.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back