Hunting Alone

justinbowhunter

Aug 21, 2013
For those of you that backpack hunt solo, when you are back in however many miles and you harvest a bull, how do you get it out? What methods do you do to make sure you don't lose any meat? Any help would be appreciated.

Do a forum search on "meat care" and you should get some good info. IMO the key is to get the elk meat cool as soon as possible.
Getting it out of the back country on a solo hunt is part of the triumph. Bone it out and start moving it out as soon as you can. You may have to make more than one trip to get it all out- have a plan to do this so that nothing is wasted because you were not able to manage the extraction.

Cut it up and start carrying it out.  There really isn't anything else you can do.  Immediately get the hide off and get the meat cooling.  Debone it, load up your pack with as much as you can carry.  Hang the rest in meat bags in the shade and go.  Plan on an absolute minimum of two trips, three is probably more realistic.

Smtn10pt said:
Cut it up and start carrying it out.  There really isn't anything else you can do.  Immediately get the hide off and get the meat cooling.  Debone it, load up your pack with as much as you can carry.  Hang the rest in meat bags in the shade and go.  Plan on an absolute minimum of two trips, three is probably more realistic.

Yep.  Hang it in the shade or as close to cool running water as possible.  Foresee the movement of the sun as well. make sure the spot will stay shady and not enter sunlight as the sun moves across the sky.  Hustle that meat out and call a buddy if you can.

Do any of you guys have suggestions on how to bone out the meat in the most efficient way by yourself? I have always boned out the meat, but usually have had my uncle with me when deer hunting. This will be my first hunt boning an elk out by myself. Do you hang it and then bone it out? That seems like an easier way to handle the quarters than doing it on the ground? Just looking to learn.

Last year I quartered it up. Cut out the tender loins and the back straps off. First trip hind quarter blackstrap. Second other hind quarter other backstrap. Third both front legs then the last my loins head and cape. I put them all in huge garbage bags and put them on the creek to keep them cold. I had shot the bull the night before. By the time I found the bull the whole process took me roughly 8 hrs and no joke I peed blood. I went to the dr and the only explanation he could give me was that I had over worked body to an extreme i which caused me to do so. I use an alps backpacking/ packing board. It does wonders. This year, I have someone on standbye. Pretty easy to bribe someone with a cple elk steaks.

If you are hiking in on a trail a one wheeled meat cart is a nice way to go. We hauled out two elk last year in one trip each with a one wheeled cart. We each had a pack frame with a quarter and the rest was on the cart.

Get your smile on  ;D  and get working. I quarter, hang, and bag and get back and get on my call list. Packing any elk out alone is a big undertaking and in sept things can spoil quickly. If looking to do this yourself know your limits and be prepared. Good luck.

I prefer to do my killing just before dark, get the field dressing done, in bags and hung overnight where it will be in the shade the next day and pack a load out immediately. it's not easy but if it were everyone would be doing it. I haven't done a backcountry style hunt yet but I've packed out 4 miles and we all know that hauling meat is the toughest part of being an elkhunter.

Be sure of the rules before hunting...I don't believe you are allowed any wheel assistance of any sort in the Wilderness areas, at least in Colorado. Not being critical, just mentioning so you don't get in trouble. Bottom line...you owe it to the animal to get ALL of the meat off the mountain. Do what it takes. If you have a good trail that goes to your vehicle, pack all the meat to that trail and then you should be able to safely navigate the meat to the truck throughout the night. It is also much more enjoyable at night with the cool temperatures. Just another idea. Do whatever it takes. Have a plan.

You do the only thing you can do.

Skin and quarter the elk as soon as possible, and hang the meat in a cool area.  Chose a place that will stay in the shade and stay cool regardless of the suns position.  Strap some meat to your back and walk it out.  As already mentioned, if you are in an area that allows biycles and carts then have it waiting in your truck and go in for the rest.  Slow and steady wins the race, but remember that meat won't keep forever so push yourself to get it out as quickly as possible.  My last two were 3 and 4 miles from the road respectively, you just lower your head and get the job done.

Gutless is definitely the way to go. A solid external frame pack will save you along with plenty of parachute cord to hang whatever you can't get out in the first trip. Don't forget the ivories.

I did a solo backpack hunt trip last year, and I was inan area 3-5 miles from the truck. So in addition to the summer scouting trips to locate the elk habitat I also put together an exit strategy. This included hanging spots, areas I would feel confident in moving at night and also declaring some no-go areas.  Having a good exit strategy gave me the confidence when it came time to pull the trigger. I also invested in a good pack that allowed me move my camp and meat, an Eblerstock J34 and good lightweight game bags. Lastly get educated on deboning your elk, there are lots of good you tube videos to help you there.

idelkslayer said:
You do the only thing you can do.

Skin and quarter the elk as soon as possible, and hang the meat in a cool area.  Chose a place that will stay in the shade and stay cool regardless of the suns position.  Strap on me meat to your back and walk it out.  As already mentioned, if you are in an area that allows bicycles and carts then have it waiting in your truck and go in for the rest.  Slow and steady wins the race, but remember that meat won't keep forever so push yourself to get it out as quickly as possible.  My last two were 3 and 4 miles from the road respectively, you just lower your head and get the job done.

This is just about as good of advice as you can get. I also keep a friend or two on standby so when I get to the truck (occasionally you will have cell service) I can give them a call. Have them bring ten 20lb. bags of ice and a couple cold beers for after the packin' is done  8)  I lay my game bags on a tarp in the bed, throw all the ice on top, wrap them up and ratchet strap the tarp over them. Keeps the meat cool and dust free for the drive out. My $.02

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back