hunting burned areas

Zpd307

Aug 7, 2017
just got back from Idaho on Thursday. took the family and matt took his boys out to scout our new spot for this year. the area had burned in 2013.... it looks totally different than what is on google earth!
I saw plenty of sign that indicates that the elk are hitting the lowlands at night for feeding. I found several travel routes that tell me where they are going to bed. which is a long ways to get back into the timber.
my question is for those who have hunted these areas, how should I hunt them?
find ambush spots
concentrate on water holes along their travel routes
go straight to their bedding areas and wait
etc......
they are travelling through the burned areas, which have very little, to no cover for them or us as hunters. I have a feeling they will be way up high before it is light enough to see....
please shed some light :D

The area you talk about has been burned long enough to have new growth... Elk like new growth... So they should be feeding as they move through these burned areas on the way to feed and on the way back to bed... I\'d like to say you would find me at the top of the burn on a well used trail both early morning and in the evening catching them going both ways... If the wind is ok I would like to think think I could handle the thermals in the morning...

At least that\'s what I would do since I like setting in a spot for long periods of time waiting for critters to appear... :D :D

yep phil. I saw the munched on plants along their travel paths! I noticed that they take the center stalk only and leave the branched out parts alone... :think:

I know you have to fight thermals and is hard to do when archery hunting cause you have to get closer.... But most of the time if you have an open area and you can get 100 or so yards off to the side the thermals want effect you all that much....

An example I\'ve hunted clear cuts for deer for years... I don\'t worry about the wind since I try to get to where the wind is blowing since deer come into the cut overs from several directions... I just don\'t have to watch the downwind portion as much....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back