Hunting in Burn area's ?

RKW1968

Apr 9, 2018
First I will say I am very very new to Elk having lived in Eastern NC all my life and planning a DIY elk hunt this Fall as my first.  Have several options as to where but I wanted to pose a question to those with experience.  How soon will elk come to an area after a forest fire, I know this usually leads to a lot of new green growth for them to eat.  I just want to know what the productive time periods and how soon they will come to this area after the fire.  Thanks for any input. 

Welcome to the site RKW1968!  :welcome:

This is not first hand experience because I've never hunted a fresh burn, but I've been told that the elk will be in there as soon as the new growth shows up. I've heard of people hunting in areas where the burn was so fresh that their boots get covered in ash, but you have to go where the elk are! And if there was a recent burn, they will probably be back in there shortly.

FYI, remember when you?re in a burn area, watch out for standing dead trees. A good breeze and things can get interesting in a hurry.

A lot of variables to consider such as how much human activity was around the area you're looking at, how hot the fire was and how much moisture the area has received since the fire.  Generally speaking though, recent burns are a good place to consider as the elk will want to feed on the new greenage as it pops up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back