Hunting in the Rain

mtnmutt

Mar 2, 2014
Since I have no tracking experience, I have wondered if I should hunt when it is raining? I have hunted in morning and evening rain.

My advanced bowhunting class did a mock blood trail for us to follow. Last season, an elk hunting veteran showed me in the woods how to look around to find blood, broken branches and tracks after a shot. I am a worried about rain washing away a blood trail.

I want to hunt in the evenings when it is raining. I have some new locations good for evening hunts. I prefer not to miss hunting hours because it is raining.

What is your take on hunting in the rain?

I shot my bull last year in the rain. I was concerned with it washing the blood away so I started tracking after 10min. I only found 10-12 blood drops due to no exit hole. The broadhead deflated both lungs and stopped just inside the skin on the far side. I followed tracks for 40yds easily. I then had to stop and study the ground looking for overturned rocks and such when I spotted him on his back with all four legs in the air 20yds away.

A good shot takes the worries out of tracking in the rain. :D

\"bowhunter\" said:
A good shot takes the worries out of tracking in the rain. :D

Yes! Use the silence the rain provides to get close and seal the deal!

If you can locate elk, and see them before they see you...the rain provides a lot of advantages (keeps your scent down, allows for a much more stealthy stalk).

And, if it really decides to come down hard...you\'ve got your umbrella ;)

I hunt the rain too, but it can wash out a blood trail. Wet ground can make it easier to find tracks and scuff marks where the elk ran, if the rain does not obliterate them. It is easier to slip in closer to elk when it is raining. You make less noise and the rain covers what sound you do make.

Always a risk but like someone said if you hit them good they won\'t go far anyway. I know some guys wont do it but that\'s going to have to be a decision only you can make. I say hunt it and maybe settle yourself and use a little extra caution to ensure good hits.

I don\'t mind hunting in the rain as long as its not coming down crazy hard, or there is lightning. If its comes down to hard, or lighting starts I hunker down and wait it out. If you happen to shoot one I would not wait as long to track it as you normally would.

Last year in the high country I had a storm blow in about 1:00 in the afternoon with major lightning and thunder. Like someone flipping a light switch on the bulls where going crazy during the storm.

Don k, 2 years ago after a earth shaking storm came through, there was a lost cow walking behind my tent. I was hunkered down in my tent, so I missed that opportunity.

For heavy rains, I will wait it out. I have hunted in light to medium rains.

If the meat gets wet, will drying it back at camp before putting it in a cooler be sufficient?

There are plenty of thick pines to hang meat with some protection from rains, but it is likely to a get a little wet.

If meat gets wet the chance of it molding increase a lot.
Mold needs moisture, heat and bacteria.
I have seen meat mold in a cooler not properly air dried after becoming wet.

\"cnelk\" said:
Thanks. I can hang it at camp under a tarp until it dries. CO weather generally gets anything dry within 6 hours.

\"cnelk\" said:

Good point, Brad. BTW, we\'ll have plenty of tarp material for our game poles. (Yes, plural.)

My hunting partner and I hunt the rain - it is his favorite condition to hunt in. As others have mentioned, it quiets the ground, the increased sound from the rain hitting the ground and vegetation helps provide a little \"noise cover\" as well. We don\'t hunt if it is coming down really steady to hard rain (we stayed in a tent 1 full day last year due to consistent heavy rain), but a light rain is a good time for us to hunt.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back