Hunting near the road

Mad_Angler

Aug 26, 2015
I\'ve heard folks say that great areas can be found 1/2 to 1 1/2 mile from the road. If they go 1/2 mile, they get away from a lot of the hunters. If they go more that 1 1/2 miles, they run into the beasts and guys with horses.

That makes sense.

So, now what? How do you scout these areas? What are you looking for?

How do you call? It seems that a good bugle would bring hunters running from all directions.

Any other advice?

I am a total elk beginner. This will be my first shot at elk hunting. I\'ve hunted deer for 25 year. I\'ve also done two rifle hunts for moose/caribou in Alaska. I\'m about 50 years old and in okay shape. (My real target season is September 2016. But folks told me that going this year would teach me more than anything else for next year. And I plan to be in better shape for next year). Any other advice would be greatly appeciated.

Welcome to the forum Angler.
Great question, unfortunately there is no one size fits all answer to your questions.
Lets start with your first statement about where to find elk. That elk are 1/2 mile to 1 1/2 mile from open roads may fit some places, but that is no universal standard. Elk adapt to the areas where they live. You will do well to learn your area and how/where to hunt the elk. The same is true of calling. Some people have success with what they call \"run and gun\". I totally disagree, as it does not work where I hunt. More subtle cow calling and short small bull bugles work better in my area.
Are you interested in learning how to do all of the various elk calls or are you interested in killing an elk? They are not necessarily the same. You can find some threads on this forum, including the archives that will give you some great insight on what some successful hunters are doing. You can be assured these successful hunters here are NOT blowing hot air released from and inflated ego. They know what they are talking about. You can learn a lot from Glacier Country, Wapiti, John Fitzgerald, Jacuomo & Cnelk to name a few. Can you find an experienced enthusiastic elk hunter to go with for a time or two where you want to start hunting?

First off, welcome to the site! It\'s a pleasure to have you here.

In regards to your question, the answer is going to vary on your location. No place will be the same.
You can go onto any site, elk forum, or read any article out there and they say to get in deep. Usually 1/2 miles or more to beat pressure. Well that\'s not always the case. What happens when everyone goes in 1/2 mile....

So here is the thing. All of these young people, hardcover hunters, or new hunters are doing that. Granted it\'s not the case for everywhere, but I think the get in deep push has caught on.

So now there is this whole half mile in from the road that is getting over looked.

Last year I killed my spike 350 yards from the road..... I had 4 other nice bulls in that same location.
I\'m running 5 cameras right now in an area. Some are a few hundred feet from the road, others are a few miles in. All of them have elk......

I know this doesn\'t help give you a solid answer, but all I\'m trying to say is learn your area and don\'t disregard the first 1/2 mile from the road.

Are you hunting an OTC unit this year or did you draw a hunt?
What state?

If you plan on doing some scouting, we can definitely give you some points and tips for your trips.

Any scouting time or boots on ground time will pay dividends in the long run.

\"iccyman001\" said:
Are you hunting an OTC unit this year or did you draw a hunt?
What state?

If you plan on doing some scouting, we can definitely give you some points and tips for your trips.

Any scouting time or boots on ground time will pay dividends in the long run.

I\'ll be hunting Coloraod OTC. I worked with Mike at StartMyHunt. I have a map on the way.

I am scouting. But I am not scouting.... My real trip is September 2016. I will be \"hunting\" September 2015. But my real goal for this year is to start to learn to elk hunt for next year...

I live in Wisconsin. Scouting in the summer feasible this year.

Welcome MadAngler, glad to see you here!

One of the techniques for hunting OTC areas near roads I use is to high-lite all motorized traveled roads/trails on your map
[Good to see you got on of Mikes maps coming - BTW you still have time to enter to win one too!]

I also high-lite any foot traffic trails/paths on that same map.
Then measure out ~1/4 mile on each side of these roads/trails and hash them.
These are what I call HIGH IMPACT AREAS. Go beyond these.

Then start looking for pinch points, small meadows, clearcuts, mixed timber of aspens/pines and mark them.

Once you have done this it will become apparent when animals could travel or hang out when there is pressure near or all around.

There are other factors like weather: fires, drought, or rain that may influence spots but in general, you can easily find some pockets within 1/2 mile from the truck

Just always be ready to go mobile to find elk or more elky spots.

Welcome to BTO.

Which weeks in September are you hunting?

I am not one of the experts. I only have detailed information on my current CO OTC for archery which I have hunted for years.

The 0.5 to 1.5 miles from a road is a general rule for me. I have hunted 5 CO OTCs during archery. I have also backpacked 2-5 miles into Wilderness. In my current OTC archery unit, 0.5 to 1.5 miles has been a sweet spot for the first 2 weeks in September. After Muzzloader, it is more like 0.75 mile to 2 miles.

For opening week, I also have cows and calves traveling within 200 yards of my car camping spot.

I purchased a Navigator Map from Mike. Read the 2 pages of notes that he sends with the map.

After getting the map, use Google Earth to zoom into ground level. Fly over as much as you can after you get the map and take notes. There are lots of things visible with GE.

Maps and virtual scouting doesn\'t help too much for determining hunting pressure in an area. If there is a steep grade (>25 degree slope), no matter how short to get to prime elk habitat, you may find yourself alone most days in that area. Most hunters do not like steep grades for more than a day. Some go all out on their first day and then do easy terrain for the rest of their hunt.

Good luck with your hunt.

Welcome, Mad_Angler (I recognize your handle from the \"other\" site) :D

\"mtnmutt\" said:
After Muzzloader, it is more like 0.75 mile to 2 miles.

This is good intel...I actually rely on muzzy guys to drive elk to certain areas I know they consider \"safe\", and will concentrate in.

As mtnmutt said...these are typically a little farther back than the elk might \"normally\" be found... but far enough that the majority of hunters will not go there.

The only drawback to this, is the elk might possibly become more silent. This means getting up extra early in the AM to locate them...they might only sound off once or twice around first light. :think:

I hope my post didn\'t come off as stay in close.

Again, I firmly believe ever location is different and I normally am the one who wants to go in deeper.

I just think it\'s very important to keep an eye inside that first half mile too. Just in case

As I started scouting my area more, I realized that during bow season, it hardly sees any pressure.
Then during rifle season, it\'s mostly hit by people who just drive around in trucks and won\'t go in the woods at all.
So for me, you step in the woods and it\'s game on! :mg:

Keep these factors in mind:
  1. Percentage of private versus public land.[/*:m:345bit40]
  2. If it has private land, are sheep and cattle grazing on public land in September?[/*:m:345bit40]
  3. Vegetation. Is it more open terrain or mostly dense timber? Lots of hunters do not like trekking through lots of deadfall.[/*:m:345bit40]
  4. Can you glass for elk? Even if hunters can glass elk 1 mile from the road, it does not mean they will go hunt those elk if the access is difficult.[/*:m:345bit40]
  5. How close is it to population areas?[/*:m:345bit40]
  6. Does it have a high percentage of steep terrain?[/*:m:345bit40]
  7. Are there motorized trails & roads everywhere. Some units are hard to get 1.5 miles from any road.[/*:m:345bit40][/list:eek::345bit40]
    My current area:
    • Low percentage of private land.[/*:m:345bit40]
    • Mostly medium to dense pine with very little aspen and meadows compared to other units.[/*:m:345bit40]
    • High hunting pressure: It gets lots of locals, CO Front Range and out of state hunters. As limited draw units get harder to draw, OTCs see higher hunter numbers. Midweek hunter numbers drop dramatically. Opening weekend archery is a zoo. Opening weekend ML is a bit crowded too.[/*:m:345bit40]
    • Not much opportunity to glass. I know a spot that I can glass, however, the steep terrain keeps the hunters away from hunting those elk.[/*:m:345bit40]
    • No cattle or sheep issues.[/*:m:345bit40]
    • Lots of steep terrain.[/*:m:345bit40]
    • Bad weather will limit the number of hunters. Some will pack up and go home early.[/*:m:345bit40][/list:u:345bit40]
      There is one spot that was fantastic for years. It is 1.5-2 miles from the road just inside Wilderness. Then, it got discovered. Access is an easy to moderate hike. Since it was discovered by other hunters, I stopped going there.

To Jeff\'s point, I have had a few occasions on Muzzloader opening day with MLs pushing elk to me. Once it was a 6x6 bull. Only 0.5 mile from the road. I wasn\'t prepared for it. It was the closest I have been to a 6x6.

Another item is to know where the cattle are grazing. You can find this out by calling the local Forest Service office and inquire.
Ask how many pairs and what the grazing rotation is

Do you Colorado hunters find there is any real correlation between the written grazing schedule, and what actually takes place on the ground? Where I hunt on the Malheur N.F., Emigrant Creek R.D., it is only a coincidence if there is. The Ranger and Range Conservationist for the District, say they are unable to do anything about it, even when the cattle are grazing nearly two months month past the date they are supposed to be gone, and when the forage is heavily overgrazed.

Where I hunt the grazing allotment starts July 1 and the cattle are removed October 1.
It is a big range and each year the rancher must reverse the grazing order so the natural wildflowers aren\'t grazed down at the same time each year.
As the cattle move thru areas, the elk will follow about 10 days laters to eat the new regrowth, and the same wildflowers ;)

You don\'t want to be hunting in an area when the cattle are suddenly pushed into the drainage you are hunting.
It\'s all part of the planning & scouting process

Welcome! Good people on here.

Shoot me your email in a PM and I\'ll send you the copy of my article from Bow & Arrow Hunting magazine from last month that deep-dives into the answers to your questions. It\'s sold out at most newsstands by now but I scanned it.

\"Jaquomo\" said:
Shoot me your email in a PM and I\'ll send you the copy of my article from Bow & Arrow Hunting magazine from last month that deep-dives into the answers to your questions. It\'s sold out at most newsstands by now but I scanned it.
Great article! I had to go to 6 places before I finally found a copy 2 weeks ago at Cabelas in Denver. I was hoping no one read it :shh:

\"Swede\" said:
Do you Colorado hunters find there is any real correlation between the written grazing schedule, and what actually takes place on the ground? Where I hunt on the Malheur N.F., Emigrant Creek R.D., it is only a coincidence if there is. The Ranger and Range Conservationist for the District, say they are unable to do anything about it, even when the cattle are grazing nearly two months month past the date they are supposed to be gone, and when the forage is heavily overgrazed.

Brad pretty well summed it up. I\'ll put it this way we do try to keep cattle in pastures where they need to be we fence every year and cut trails. I know some guys don\'t do this. That being said you can never really positively know where they are, trees get blown over fences and people leave gates open (hunting season esp. I think most believe it will work as a good pinch point, or maybe they don\'t want the cattle where they want to hunt.). Some areas have fines and your grazing permit could be revoked if you never abide by the dates but also you have to understand these are animals and they do things on their own.

Diesel, Grazing is an interesting proposition where I have hunted. Some areas are managed very well, with great cooperation from the permit holder. Some areas suffer as though Clivus Bundy was in charge. Where the Clivus Bundy\'s of the world are in charge, the F.S. is near to useless. They are afraid to offend the permittees. The permit and the regulations, the environmental assessments are pretty much meaningless.

Thanks for the kind words, Patricia. I try to teach different skills in my published articles, but without giving away any real \"spots\" that will screw anybody up. My editors are fine with that approach. Hopefully there were some things in there that you can apply where you hunt.

Good luck this season!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back