Hunting Plan of Attack

Sweetmeat

Feb 23, 2018
Hey Guys!

Once you have your unit and some key areas picked out, how do you go about planning your attack, or the plan the route you want to hunt? How do you plan; overall length, glassing areas, using thermals to advantage, managing elevation, and generally making the most of the area.

I remember there being a topic about this a while back where guys debated over a generic topo map, but I can't seem to dig it back up. 

Thanks!

There's a ton of variables to consider:
- Potential elk food, water, and bedding locations.
- Public access points.  Based on the topography and land ownership of the area, how are you going to access the area without the thermals or prevailing winds causing issues?
- Hunting pressure.  Where do you anticipate other hunters?  Nearby campgrounds, roads, etc.
- Is it possible to locate elk at night with location bugles or by simply listening in a number of spots?
- If I'm rifle hunting, where can I take all of the above in and also find a good place to glass.

Thanks for the pointers!  I'm sitting on the couch recovering from knee surgery so I'm trying to make the most of the situation and have been over analyzing Google Earth and OnX.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back