Hunting tires!!!

TooLucky406

Jan 12, 2013
Just curious what tires folks areusing on their trucks/suv while hunting and any pros and cons on them?

Duratracs!
Pros: they will dig until you are high-centered!
Cons: they will dig until you are high-centered!
Freaking awesome tire for hunting/winter

I run regular highway tires - nothing special. I never hunt places that involve me even using my 4x4 to get into. I usually park and either hike or mountain bike into areas that are closed down to anything motorized.

Nick

Anything 10 ply all-terrain is what I recommend. So you can run them all year and not change into your "winter tire"
I currently run BFG tko's but have used Hankook ATM rf10's with absolutely no complaints.

I agree with anything 10 ply and all terrain. My last tires were Hankooks and they did pretty good, but weren't great for me. (my $.02) I just bought BF Goodrich this year and will see how they go. My truck is a Chevy and I cranked the tortion bars up and put the next biggest sized tires on my truck. I'm interested to see how they do this year. I also have 1 set of chains that I don't put on till I'm stuck or if it is icey. Once you put chains on and get stuck then you are in trouble so I save them for my last option.

If you want the toughest tires made, buy Toyo M55's or Toyo Opencountry MT's. Ive seen them all on the roughest roads and the most punishing applications and those 2 are the toughest against rock punctures & etc. Yes they are ridiculously priced, but if you cant afford to be changing flat tires due to work or play, they are the only way to go.

toyo at2's 10 ply, so far i like them, bought them before last hunting season, the older ones wore fast but these seem ok, not super aggressive but good enough for most of the places i go. i try not to mud bog to hunting holes. anything with a 10 ply and a good reputation should work.

THEBUGLER said:
If you want the toughest tires made, buy Toyo M55's or Toyo Opencountry MT's. Ive seen them all on the roughest roads and the most punishing applications and those 2 are the toughest against rock punctures & etc. Yes they are ridiculously priced, but if you cant afford to be changing flat tires due to work or play, they are the only way to go.
I'm a tire tech for a tire company and the local mines run the m55 toyos, I have seen these tires run through the ringer on mine sights, oil fields, gas fields as well as county roads they stand up great.  High prices but I'm going to buy a set for my 4 wheel rig just because how well they hold up to rocks, mud, snow, trees everything they do great

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat

Toyo AT2's get my vote.  After starting with toyo, then trying other brands due to funds available...I've learned to spend the money and stick with toyo's...best all around tire I've owned.

I just put some Backcountry SQ-4 [/size]tires[/size] today on my Tacoma. It's a new tire from Les Schwab that just came out last week. 50k warranty. Hopefully they work out.[/size]

Had been using Duratracs on my Tacoma the last few years,but NM rds ate the tread before their time.
Got some Kenda Klevers and their kinda like duratracs on steroids.
Very good dirt road and off road tires.
Quieter than the GY's that go by on hwy and ride good there too. 

$660 out the door.

nicktrehearne said:
I run regular highway tires - nothing special. I never hunt places that involve me even using my 4x4 to get into. I usually park and either hike or mountain bike into areas that are closed down to anything motorized.

Nick

Nick I want to get into mountain bike hunting. I'd love to hear your thoughts. check out my post about that.

Arrows4Elk said:
I've been running the 10ply Duratracs on my truck and jeep. Love them.
I currently have Mickey Thompson ATZ's on my rubicon (previous owner installed them) but the Duratracs will get the nod after this winter. I had them on my Nissan and they were great, handled everything I could throw at them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back