Hunting with crutches?

Alder

Jan 2, 2013
I just smashed my foot and am on crutches for a few weeks which means I will have to make my way in the woods on crutches. Any advice? Stories? I can't be the only one who isn't going to let crutches come between me and trying to get close to an elk.

Have been turkey hunting and deer hunting using crutches in the past. Obviously you have to slow down so allow extra time to get yourself in and out. It is much easier if you pack stuff on your back as opposed to using a rifle sling on your shoulder.
Remember you balance differently so don't over extend going up or down hill, as that can get ugly quick.....don't ask how I know.
How do you plan on getting an elk packed out?

Thanks. For sure it is going to slow everything down, I was thinking of working down a few skid roads and then sitting on likely funnels. Crutches are noisy, so seems like patience will be a big deal. Backpack definitely makes sense, plus a little chair or stool. Was thinking that bringing the heads up cow along would be a bonus since repositioning quick is unlikely...
Right now I got a friend and a few family members on speed dial if I get anything.

What about calling advice? I have a late season cow tag, and if I am stuck to a spot, what are the best calling options? Or do I just stay silent?

I have no clue on the calling aspect. Without crutches I generally have to reposition once or twice so it may not be my first option. Someone with more experience in that department might be better suited to respond though.

Well it appears that downhill isn't an issue but uphill is a good challenge.  Also having dad with me is super helpful when I get stuck. I have never hunted this slow before. Lol. Time for some turkey and family.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back