Hunting with Horses

BrunswickJB

Oct 3, 2014
Hey all,
New guy here. I recently got back from a CO. elk and bear hunt, with no luck. Regardless I was hiking about a dozen miles a day, and I had the genius idea to try my two horses along during the next CO. archery season. Do any of you have any experience hunting with horses? What would that in tail? What do I need to consider?
Thanks,
Brandon

I love the horses for when the meat hits the ground, but as far as hunting they stay home during the hunt. I don't like having to water and feed something besides myself when I get back after dark, or worry if they are still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've hunted with horses quite frequently, and yes sometimes getting back after dark and having to feed and water is tiresome.  I worked for an outfitter for a few years and as a guide we would get back after dark, have to feed an water we had a corral so it was easier, but we were last to eat and last to bed. Plus we always had clients wanting to sit by the fire and tell stories so late nights entailed, then we were first up to saddle and grain horses.  As far as hunting with them though it saved a lot even though I had less sleep I didn't have to hike the 5-10 miles to hunting areas so that took off a lot stress on the legs.  But I have ridden horse right up to a herd of elk within 20 yards, where I could dismount and get a shot if I was hunting. As said in Jeremiah Johnson, elk don't know how many feet horses have so if there broke enough you could use the horse as a block to get close enough.  I have archery hunted off of horses and could get way closer to an elks bedroom an they didn't mind nearly as much.  I'm doing it next year again but I'll be packing in a camp during my archery hunt and then leaving it until my dad can hunt it during 2nd rifle where they will pack it out.  If you do it tie a set of saddle panniers onto ur saddle for when you kill one, then you can just walk out and horse can pack. If you have 2 horses just pack one like mountain men used to and you become a lot more mobile if you need to move.  I've done it a lot and I love it but it's not for everyone that's for sure. 

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat

it can be very rewarding and very taxing make sure your horses are well trained  practice how you would coral them or hobble at night nothing like waking to a galloping horse heading down the trail in the middle of the night. also packs good packs and horse gear aint cheap, but the sense of pride that your own animals do the work is great. what we did was led  ours in to base camp and just hunted out from there camp was super comfy all the bells and whistles. but its work but what elk hunter is afraid to work.

I've been toying with huntin with horses,  never done it but seems like allot of work and for some one who likes to run and gun they might be handy, or they might slow me down.

hunt or die

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back